Radial arm saw table clamp

I have recently come into an older Craftsman RAS without a table or clamps, which I will be using for 90 degree crosscuts only. Since the table will have to be rebuilt, I will need new table clamps. Sears does sell them, but for about $15 each! I was wondering if anyone knows of a more economical solution, or who else may sell something similar for less?

Thanks, Barry K.

Reply to
Barry Keane

Before you do anything else, check to see if it is eligible for

If it is then you get a new table with clamps for free.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't know about the clamps, but you might be able to get yourself a new free top. There's a product recall/upgrade for many Craftsman radial arm saws that were made by Emerson. If your serial number is in the list they will either send you the upgrade package free or send you $100 if you send them your motor head.

Go to

and see if your saw qualifies. Mine both did.

Reply to
Charley

I have long had a thought of designing a better set of clamps based on a horizontal action toggle clamp. I've even gone so far as to purchase a pair, but I've not gone any further with it. However, maybe that idea will give you an idea.

Reply to
LRod

That is a great idea. I had the same one :) I've already called the number on the website, hoping, like you had posted, that I could get a whole new setup for nothing. However, when I called, they said the saw was indeed a part of the recall, but parts were no longer available. They did offer to give me $100 if I chose to dismantle the saw and send them the motor (thus no longer posing a safety hazard). But since the recall is related to making rip cuts, and I plan on only doing cross cuts, I'll be keeping the saw. Hence my current position of trying to find some table clamps. Any help you could give is really appreciated.

-Barry

Reply to
Barry Keane

I've seen (and plan to use on my son's saw) a simple C clamp with one end cut off then bolted to the steel undercarriage. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

You might be able to cobble something up with some angle iron and bolts. A couple of toggle clamps

should work but they aren't a whole lot cheaper that the replacement parts.

A downside on the toggle clamps is that you'll likely need to readjust them if you change the fence thickness.

A piece of 2x6 bolted to the back and some threaded rod might also work.

Or drill through the table extensions and fence and put some threaded inserts

in the table itself then bolt through from the back, but you'll have to either slot the fence or remove the bolts completely to replace it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Same here. I bought two cheap "C" clamps, cut off the screw part of the body and welded it onto a 3/8ths bolt. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I really appreciate it! Looks like a C clamp is the way to go. I just couldn't see spending $30 plus shipping when I knew something much more economical would work just as well.

Thanks again,

-Barry

Reply to
Barry Keane

Barry, I don't know if you're interested, but I have a set of table clamps from a Craftsman RAS that became surplus after I received the update kit from Emerson. They're yours if you want them. Contact me at tkt62hotmailcom.

Tom

Reply to
Tom