Quick question on used lathe

First I know I can post to rec.woodturning but I hang out here with this (interesting) group, since I don't have a lathe. Classified in local paper today advertised a used "Sears & Roebuck" 36" lathe for sale for $200. I called & owner knows little else (cast iron vs pipe, outboard turning capable, or height over bed ... he's not sure). Comes with some tools if he can find them! This would be a beginning lathe for me & based on Sears & Roebuck it appears to be of some vintage. I'm looking at it tomorrow at 10AM EDT any comments about price or appropriateness would be appreciated ASAP. W/o model# etc I realize this is just ballpark till I see it. He does have a used panel saw ... "FO FREE!"
TIA
Jerry

Why are you at home posting rather than over there looking at it?
Silly bunt...
On 22 Jul 2004 22:27:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@simoogle.com (Jerry McCaffrey) wrote:

uh huh. where?
On 22 Jul 2004 22:27:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@simoogle.com (Jerry McCaffrey) wrote:

If it has the tubular bed, I would pass. It might be worth it for $100, but I wouldn't pay $200 for the tubular bed. I had one for a long time, and while you can do some basic spindle turning, there are too many flaws in the design. When I first used a better quality lathe, I was amazed at how much easier (and versatile) it was.
Also, when Home Depot was changing their product line last year, they were selling the identical new machine for $125.
I hope this helps.
tt