Question on flag display case

Hi all:
My dad just passed away last week--since he was a USMC veteran, he got a military funeral. As a tribute I wanted to build a flag display case--I looked in google groups and found several different plans, but I've got a dumb question: are the flags they put on a vet's coffin always the same size? And what would be the final dimensions of a display case? OK, I guess that's two dumb questions but they're related (C;
Thanks for any help you can give me on this...
Jim
They are standarized. I have seen a display box where the flag is on one side and the ribbons/ medals of his rank/unit/badges is on the other. Looked good done with a dark wood. He would have had some service ribbons and medals in his time in. Glad we had men like him; the Marines usually take it on the chin.
On 24 Nov 2003 11:49:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (PC Gameplayer) wrote:

PC Gameplayer wrote:

If I were you I would take it to someone who mounts and frames cross stitch and the like.
The reason for this is the chemicals that will leach out of a wooden frame may and probably will degrade the flags material. Whites would become brownish and the colors would become less vibrant.
Then there's the question of how you would attach the flag to the backing. Thumb tacks? Staples? Two sided tape?
A professional framer will be able to build a frame, stretch and mount the flag in an acid and chemical free glass covered environment.
If you want to make the frame yourself I would suggest having the framer frame the flag in a thin metal frame and then build a second frame to hold the first frame.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Generally you'll display a flag like this as it was folded by the Honor Guard. That usually means a glass-front triangular case. Sealing the interior of the case with shellac should prevent leaching of 'chemicals' from the case to the flag.
Build the case to fit the flag, if you already have it.
scott
<snip>

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've seen the square cases with the flag on one side, medals on another--but I'm looking for the basic triangular case.

Well, that's part of my problem. My mom has the flag, and I'd prefer to do this without her knowing (until I give the finished product to her). It might have gotten lost, but part of my original question was: assuming flags that are draped over a coffin are always the same size (or close), what are the final dimensions of the "flag triangle"?
jim
They are not all the same size, and there are plenty of unfortunate stories of folks who assumed there was a standard. Best to sneak into mom's place and take some measurements.
Very sorry for your loss. -- Bill Pounds http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

Jim, The flag is ALWAYS folded into that triangular form . . . for 'presentation' of any kind of storage, even if it is only overnight.
The typical "Veterans Flag' is 5' x 9' . I just made 3 of them; one for a neighbor, one for my wife {yet to receive the final finish} and the remaining one I sold on e-bay. {The individual wanted to surprise his sister; it was sent directly to her}
I would be glad to send you a photo and gross dimensions. I may even have instructions & a diagram on how to fold the flag.
Contact me off-list.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

If I am correct, it is tradition that a flag used over a veterans coffin should not be unfolded after it is given to the family member by the honor guard. This is why the display cases should be triangular.
Mark wrote:

Mapdude wrote:

My mistake.
Once again I'm reminded I don't know everything.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote in rec.woodworking

framer

I would think he is talking about one of those ones where it is folded in a trinagle. That's the way I have always seen them mounted.
BigDog
--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

BigDog wrote:

Yeah, that's been pointed out to me.
I should have paid more attention while I was a Boy Scout.

Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mapdude Said: If I am correct, it is tradition that a flag used over a veterans coffin should not be unfolded after it is given to the family member by the honor guard. This is why the display cases should be triangular.
My Response: You are correct. By tradition, the flag is never unfurled for any lesser duty.
Bill
Try these out for inspiration.
http://www.woodworkersunitedforamerica.org/Flag_Instructions_WUFA.PDF
http://www.anyflag.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code &Categ ory_Code=MDC
PC - if you still need plans for a flag box I'll be happy to send you a copy of mine. I have made no less than a hundred flag and retirement boxes in the past 15 + years. I am retired navy and now have a small woodworking shop. As for the size flag a burial flag will be a 5 ft x 9 ft made of cotton.
On 24 Nov 2003 11:49:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (PC Gameplayer) wrote:

Jim,
The flags are standard size but the folded dimensions can vary depending on how tight or loose the honor guard folds it.
I made 8 of the triangular flag cases for the families of the Columbia crew earlier this year and used the plan from Woodworkers United for America's website which was posted here earlier. These plans are very straight forward and as long as your table saw is accurate when you cut the 22 1/2 degree mitres for each of the bottom corners you should not have any problems. Make sure you finish the inside before you assemble and glue up the case. I made them from cherry and gave them a french polish using a 2lb cut of blond shellac. Make sure that you use glass for the front and not acrylic or plexiglass as that will cause the material in the flag to degrade.
Greg
PC Gameplayer wrote:

You can checkout mine here with some dimensions. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&NumberR2878&Forum=All_Forums&Words=flag%20case&Match=And&Searchpage=1&Limit%&Old=allposts&MainR2170&Search=true#Post522878