INSPIRATION - Flag-Medal Case

Seems easier to make, and more useful, than the usual flag case.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I was planning on making one of these for my son, and figured I could do a better job than the one for sale at the Exchange. But has anyone seen any plans for the traditional flag/medal case???

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich.....

Reply to
rich

Wed, Dec 21, 2005, 2:37pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rich) doth query: But has anyone seen any plans for the traditional flag/medal case???

Chure. I've posted several. Check the archives.

You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I just made one of each: A flag case and a military decorations case. Actually, I made three flag cases, one "traditional burial size" the other two for 3x5 flags that flew over my son in law's camp outside Fallujah which he sent to his children during his deployment.

After looking at several, I just made my own to suit my tastes. A more-or-less "standard" size for decorations is 16"x20" with at least 3/4" between glass and backing. I'm experimenting with using felt (army green) for the back and adhesive-backed velcro for the decorations. Haven't tried it yet (for my son in law, for Christmas).

For the burial flag, a right triangle with inside dimensions of the equal legs about 15 1/2" and about 3" between glass and backing. My flag cases had a base wider than the sides so that it could be wall-hung or sit on a shelf.

Edges of everything were routed "to suit my tastes."

The most expensive part, by the way, is TEMPERED glass. I made everything so that the glass could be replaced, if necessary (and so the flags could be taken out of the cases), but tempering adds considerably to the cost. Walnut ran only $3 a board foot, 4/4, rough, and absolutely clear.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

I'd like to do something similiar but make end tables that display these things under glass instead of wall mounted frames.

Any suggestions for plans?

Thx

Reply to
Sheckster

I had a request to make one that also displayed the cartridges which were used in the Salute at burial! I thought that was rather unusual but guess it worked out OK.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Thu, Dec 22, 2005, 10:03pm snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sheckster) doth want to know: I'd like to do something similiar but make end tables that display these things under glass instead of wall mounted frames. Any suggestions for plans?

Dunno if I ever posted anything like that, but I've seen them. I'd say DAGS using "display table". Should work. I've seen glass top model railroad setups too, might try something along those lines.