Query - Acceptable MC range in woods for a project

Folks -

I checked the QSWO I picked up a cuppla weeks ago and the MC range (corrected) in the lot is btw 5 and 11% - the MC of my oak bench is 8%... Is this okay or am I going to get into tribble? I am making a coffee and 2 side tables - never thought much about MC before, but I haven't dropped this much coin on lumber at once either, so I figgered I'd esk...

The flake on the 8/4 9' boards almost makes me tear up... There's one board that has almost this "sunrise" of ray flake rainbowed across about 3 feet. I think it may become the front apron on the coffee table with drawers. Tomorrow... Layout!

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

"John Moorhead" wrote in news:xDyvc.64167$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

So has the new wood been adjusting to the shop, stacked and stickered, for the couple of weeks now? It should be OK. Besides, how would you go about 'adjusting' the MC at this point?

If you're going to resaw, then, post-band saw, stack and sticker and let sit for a couple of days again, prior to final milling. It's pretty likely that the thicker stock is not the same MC uniformly through & through.

If you're NOT going to resaw, then proceed with normal respect for Murphy's Corollary: The less replaceable the wood, the more likely that you'll screw up a measurement.

BTW, I thought about you as we were headed through your neck of the woods, from Middletown to Mendocino, last week. We saw, amongst other things, the College of the Redwoods student show, at the Highlight Gallery. And some fine downed cypress on the ranch my great grandmother used to own, somewhat further south of there.

Good luck with the tables, John. Post some pictures during your progress. It will raise the signal to noise ratio!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch