Connector for MC?

I have already bought it, but am just curious.

HD had 4 different box connectors. Cheap ones for NM, BX, and BX/AC, and an expensive one for MC.

The electrical clerk recommended the NM, but that didn't seem right. I was tempted by the cheap BX clamps, but took the MC since I only needed two of them anyhow.

Would code require the ones labeled MC, or would the BX have been adequate?

Reply to
Ted

It wasn't. Generally speaking, advice from clerks in HD, Lowes, etc. is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Yes.

No. If the BX clamps were adequate for use with MC, they'd be identified for use with MC. They're not, so they aren't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The clamps marked NM is solely for romex, not BX, because if you compare it to a BX clamp, there is a stop preventing the cable from going through. This is necessary on BX so the anti-short bushing (little red plastic at the end) will not fall out. If you use BX on an NM clamp, the anti-short bushing can fall out

Reply to
Mikepier

A true MC connector also provides the protection from the armor so you don't need the anti-short bushing you need with type AC cable. They still give you a few in a box of MC and I use them.

Reply to
gfretwell