Quality Forstner Bits

Page 1 of 2
All,
My wife just ok-ed the purchase of a new forstner bit set. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance,
Grampa Simpson

language is English, German, or Japanese, it's probably fine. Taiwan or Korea, maybe good, maybe not. China or India, probably crap.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:33:17 GMT, spam snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) scribbled

May I add Italian to your list (Freud, CMT). :-)

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Luigi Zanasi asks:

Hebrew? I'm pretty sure Amana is made in Israel...there is a Canadian named brand that is made there, too, but the name is slipping away as I mentally grab for it.
Charlie Self
"Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle." Bob Hope
On 25 Oct 2003 11:01:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) scribbled

Can't think of it either. Starts with a "D" ... Ah yes, just looked at the House of Tools web site: Dimar. No info on their web site as to where the stuff is made. I haven't used their bits, so can't comment on the quality.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

As far as I know, the only _genuine_ Forstner bits made in the USA are made right up the street from me in Berlin, CT. I can't for the life of me remember the company name.
One of the magazines recently did a sidebar on them.
Barry
Barry Burke remarks:

Someone else mentioned them a few posts ago: Connecticut Valley. www.convalco.com
I've never had any but know some people who claim they are the absolute best.
Charlie Self
"Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle." Bob Hope
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

WL Fuller makes forstners too, don't they?
Owen Lowe writes:

Their catalog lists Fisch brand.
Charlie Self
"Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle." Bob Hope

Of course you may! Please pardon the inadvertent omission; I must've had a brain fart.

grampa simpson asks:

Freud, Amana, CMT are all good places to start looking.
Charlie Self
"Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle." Bob Hope
Fisch - Austria.

There are a lot of off-brands out there. I chose a brandname...Hickory...available at HD. Advice...buy the big set. Good luck. Joe
--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

How often will you use them?
Last year I needed a Forsnter bit for just a coupe of holes. The price varies widely and the higher priced are better quality. I don't know how much better yet.
Woodcraft had a 7 piece set on sale for $15.00. It came in a wood box. I bought it for a couple of reasons?
1. It comes in a nice box for storage 2. I only needed to drill a few holes right now 3. For little money, I'd have a variety of sizes on hand "just in case" 4. If I use a particular size often, I'd buy a better quality bit and have a nice little box to store it in
If I was a pro and using the bits frequently, I'd always buy the better quality. I'm not though and I've yet to wear the cheapies dull Ed

Best bits, and very expensive, are those made by the company that developed them - Connecticut Valley, or Convalco, here in US. You may have to search t find a distributor, though.
John Martin
http://www.convalco.com/about.html
Preston

"grampa simpson" writes:

You want carbide at a minimum.
I have a set of Freud, approx $90, that do the job for me.
I would consider something of that quality level to be the minimum acceptable product.
HTH
--
Lew

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:15:38 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Carbide forstners ? I've never heard of such a thing.
Carbide isn't generally a sharp as a good steel, and sharpness is a good thing in a Forstner if you want clean edges. The only carbide I've seen has been the sort with a radial edge rather than a circumferential spur, intended for man-made boards. They're handy for MDF, but they're a bit of a ragged cut in ash or soft maple.
My best Forstners are Clico, which were 3x the price of my "decent" set. I also have some comedy Chinese sawtooths, which are only for testing the torque of drillpresses. They got a lot better though, after some work with a diamond file.
Andy Dingley responds:

Among others, Freud makes carbide Forstners.
Mine are sharp enough to do just fine.
I've also got some Freud HSS that are even better, but don't stay sharp as long, obviously.
I had several of those monster Chinese Forstners, saw teeth and all (3", 3-1/4" or some such). Almost felt guilty claiming money for 'em. They were nearly worn out in something like 3 uses in walnut and yellow poplar.