Quality Forstner Bits

john carlson

Lawrence A. Ramsey

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I see the Denver ww show will offer several sets..

Peachtree Woodworking, 16pc set, reg 39.99, sale 29.99 The Woodworkers Choice, Hickory brand, 16pc, reg 44.95, sale 29.95

I've also seen Harbor Freight flavors for around the 29 range.

A local general store has a set of Jet (didnt know they imported them) ones for 39 I believe.

Are any of these quality enough? Or should I expend more for Lee Valley.

These appear to all really be saw tool as per the Lee Valley definition,

some of the advertising on the Lee Valley page and the Hickory package appears quite similar..mmm....

Reply to
<nospam_coloradotrout

How often will you use them?

Last year I needed a Forsnter bit for just a coupe of holes. The price varies widely and the higher priced are better quality. I don't know how much better yet.

Woodcraft had a 7 piece set on sale for $15.00. It came in a wood box. I bought it for a couple of reasons?

  1. It comes in a nice box for storage
  2. I only needed to drill a few holes right now
  3. For little money, I'd have a variety of sizes on hand "just in case"
  4. If I use a particular size often, I'd buy a better quality bit and have a nice little box to store it in

If I was a pro and using the bits frequently, I'd always buy the better quality. I'm not though and I've yet to wear the cheapies dull Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for all of your imput. I have taken into concideration all of the data. This weekend I went to the wood show in Costa Mesa, CA. I picked up the Freud Carbide forstner bits. Love 'em to death.

Grampa Simpson

Reply to
grampa simpson