If I was pulling it apart, first I'd buy the support rollers- idler
pulley & some lube. [get it from the parts place- it is a special
high-temp lube that doesn't attract lint]
Once it's apart they are fairly cheap and easy to install.
The Maytag drum rides on 2 rollers (no center bearing like a GE)
They have oilite bronze bushings
They get dry and squeek. Oil will shut them up for a while. Removal
and greasing with Moly Coat will shut them up for a real long time and
Maytag says buy new ones with factory impregnated bushings.
I had a chirping Maytag. I greased the roller bushings and it was quiet for
I bought new rollers online and did the replacement. It was an easy job
I had someone to help hold the drum during reassembly.
The source of mine was the rear central drum "bearing", which is
basically just a pointed shaft on the back of the drum which fits into
I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.
Along the way I discovered a lot of part prices made just buying a new
one seem the best solution, next time.
What brand/model? It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes. Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.
:) (I like that one...)
In the vein of not bursting bubble (or is that bauble?) I didn't take
the time to look up the actual model number, but I've had GE dryers for
"since forever" and they all have had a nylon bushing... :)
So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old
one aren't still in there. The grounding strap that contacts the end of
the drum shaft comes loose and then there's a c-clip that holds the
drum. I have (once w/ one that was virtually completely gone) managed
to get the pieces out from the rear and push the new one in, but the
correct way is to pull the drum. That, as you have discovered, isn't
but a bout a 20 minute job start to finish on these puppies...
Showing how slow a day it is, I did a search -- the picture looks quite
similar to the bracket on the old ones I've worked on, but two places
had only a full "kit" under your specific model number, not just the
nylon bearing. Since they wanted roughly $40 for that, I might just go
your route instead given the choice. :) For the ones I've replaced,
the bushing/bearing alone was available for about $6-7.
The ones I've seen, there are two rollers in the back, that hold the drum
up. They need a squirt of silicone spray (doesn't attract dust) now and
To dissemble, open the door. Look up from under. Remove a couple phillips
screews. Lid comes up like the hood of a car. Two 5/16 cap head screws,
front comes off. Drum comes out, belt off of the drum. Now you can see adn
lube the two rollers in the back. Rollers about 3 inch diameter.
Plan B, shoot the bird that's in the drum.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.