PVC for air

Page 4 of 4

capacity,
How much? I have to admit that I tend to think in bigger terms than woodworking, owing to the type of painting I do, so that's my shortcoming in a discussion like this. I suppose for typical small scale painting it could be ok.
How much small diameter hose do you have in your delivery system? Do you so small scale spraying? Are you getting good atomization and patterning? I guess if you're getting good results, that's all that really matters for your application.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

The main delivery tubing is some sort of 1/2" to 5/8" ID plastic hose, tee'd off with barbed and clamped fittings. The main line is 100 to 125 feet long, with 8 or 9 20-30' 3/8" air hose drops terminated with Milton quick connects. The whole rig is run by an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 220v compressor. I don't know the HP rating of the compressor, but the airline is typically charged to 125 PSI.
I connected a standard, 50' x 3/8" hose to the final connector so I could spray in the parking lot behind the building. Several large items were sprayed this way. Spray results were as good as I get with my Fuji 4 stage HVLP rig. However, nobody else was using air. I don't believe this setup would have worked if others were using air, nor would I install it in a professional finishing shop or auto paint shop.

Pretty interesting Barry. You've got the pressure and likely, the delivery capacity in the compressor to somewhat compensate for the friction loss/restriction in the hose so you're probably ok - or so I would guess. I really don't stay up late at night calculating these things...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Frank Stutzman wrote:

Summer heat will do a lot more than soften PVC; it will raise the pressure of the compressed gas.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

If you've kept the same gas compressed in the same pipe since winter....
--

FF

How about nylon tubing? This is similar to what I use:
http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid 45/
425psi working pressure, 1700psi burst, it connects easily with brass compression fittings and it's flexible making routing easy. All for $0.91/ft.
-Brian
Max wrote:

There is also DOT air hose used in trucks/buses with air brakes. You can buy it at any heavy truck dealer and you can also get compression fittings. The 1/2" diameter should carry enough air for the average shop.
Brian Elfert
writes:

Holy Cow Brian... $$$$$$$$
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I just did a quick search online and found 1/2" DOT air line for 71 cents per foot. This was at a street rod place, so a truck dealer should be less.
71 cents a foot is a lot less than copper. don't know what black pipe goes for these days.
There is a 500 foot roll on ebay for 35 cents a foot plus shipping.
Brian Elfert
writes:

can
shop.
Yeahbut, how much for getting connectors crimped on? Maybe in bulk it really won't be so bad, but my first reaction was to the thought of what a simple short length of pre-made air line can cost. I still would not go with 1/2" line - too much air restriction over length.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
writes:

Good thought, Brian. Wish I had waited a couple days. Already about half finished with the air line branch......in copper.
Max
I already bought the damn copper!!! That stuff sure looks like the way to go though.
Max (wishing he wasn't so impulsive)

Not bad for a snub or whip hose, but at only .279" ID, not a lot of air is going to get thru it to the tool where it's needed.
Mike
I've heard of shops using PEX for air lines. It's really easy to work with. Not rated for air or areas exposed to sun light, but if it explodes it won't turn into shrapnel like PVC does.
Max wrote:

So, does this mean that my potato cannon constructed out of schedule 40 PVC is now to be considered "unsafe"? I wrapped a few layers of duct tape around the combustion chamber, just in case of a blow out - no problems yet.
BTW, I've got a great book on the subject called "Backyard Ballistics". All kinds of fun projects involving PVC.
Mike wrote:

When I worked for the railroad the car knockers would drop a lit fusee into a pipe they had rigged up to a glad-hand and kick the valve on the ground air open.
Probably got a good 100 ft or so altitude ... maybe twice that horizontally.
;-)
I think that they used them to signal each other. The fusee goes out when it strikes anything hard (a gentle sideways tap is sufficient to extinguish them) so they are actually pretty safe for that use.
Bill