pull toy plan help

I have a new grandson that I need to make a pull toy for. What I am looking for is a toy that is basically a bunch of wheels. They can be stacked or left in a string and pulled with a cord. I checked out the internet, but I guess I need a particular name for this pull toy. I think that it has about 6-8 pairs of wheels about 2-3 in dia. Any help or direction is appreciated. TIA Norvin

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

Did you search for pull toys on Amazon.com? They have around 700 to look at. I can't visualize what you are describing. It it like a caterpillar?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Norvin Gordon wrote the following:

willshak

I made a caterpillar pull toy two years ago for one grandson. I think it was from a Wood or Pop Woodworking article. If you'd like, I can post pictures on abpw.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I guess I had better describe a little better after some more thinking. It was basically a bunch of wheels with different designs on them. Each set of wheels was connected with a short piece of wood. I could take the pull toy and leave it as a long string or I could "fold" the sets of wheels upon themselves to form a pyramid and when pulled the wheels would turn in different directions. Why I need some plans is to ensure that the wheel dia. and the connecting wood pieces are of the correct size to ensure that when folding the wheel sets engage with each other. You know, I am not sure if this makes any better sense or not.

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

This leaves a 1/4" gap between the wheels. Make a rough sample to verify but I have to believe that would work. The gap distance is somewhat inconsequential. The geometry will line up the third set of wheels directly between the first two when flipped up as long as the gaps are all consistent.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You don't need the measurements for the wheels or wooden connectors, all you need is the measurements of the tiles.

From there you can calculate else everything you need. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03