Public Shop? Florida?

I am starting to think of retiring to Florida, and I sure won't have a house. But, I would like to continue woodworking.

Is there such a thing as a shop open to the public; either a comercial thing or a co-op? If there isn't, maybe I have hit on an opportunity, because there ought to be.

Reply to
toller

Someone did a post here referring to a news story about that very thing... can't remember the name of the shop but it was back east I think... of course here in Idaho, almost everywhere is east. ha They had classes available for members too. The main concern I would have would be insurance. Imagine a novice whacking off a finger or hand then suing your butt. I still like the idea though. My 2 cents.

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

Take a course in WW at a local community college. That usually gives you unlimited access to their (usually very nice) shop. Just keep enrolling every semester- probably work out to about $50 a month. I know a WW fanatic who has no shop at home at all, but does just this very thing for all his work.

Reply to
4wards

The schools around here are about triple that price, and you only get to use them the night of your "class". But yes, unlimited used for 50/month would fill the bill.

Reply to
toller

comercial thing

Try "The Villages" ! ! We are moving there in three months. They have an 8000 sq foot wood shop for residents. Fully tooled with top notch equipment. thevillages.com

Reply to
campney

on 4/13/2005 3:05 PM toller said the following:

Might check around some of the retirement communities in the area.

My son-in-law's grandparents are alive and well and living in a large complex in the Twin Cities. All nice condo-like units. They have a woodshop on site and all the guys so inclined can play there. They do little odd jobs for the widows living there, take the meager pay given them and pool it to buy equipment for the shop. I got a chance to see it last year and it was really nice with grandpa showing me some of their newer acquisitions. Apparently once they buy it and put it in the shop it becomes community property and, as the guys die off, new members join the community, need some place to store the tools they acquired over the years and...

Really a nice set up.

Just a thought but might not hurt to seek out such an arrangement locally, find out what's on their "wish" list tool-wise and see if you could buy, install it there and have "visitation" rights.

Could be a great deal for both parties. A lot of knowledge and skill covered with gray or no hair made available to you and new equipment for some folks who might not otherwise be able to afford it sooner rather than later.

If the shop was pretty good to begin with and you could cut a deal allowing sufficient use, how long would it take (comparing the $50/mo suggested) to amortize that equipment and just walk away from it when you move or decide to have your own shop?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I couldn't find it on their website, but it is good to know that things like that exist. Thanks

Reply to
toller

You might want to try Sun City Center. It is about 25 miles south of tampa. We have a sawdust engineers club that will cost you $10 a yr. Have just about any tool you may need and nails screws glue sandpaper all except wood. You supply that. We have about 10,000 people who live here. So you can buy a home rent a home rent a condo buy a condo . If I can be of any help e-mail me and I will try to answer or get you some web sites to answer for you.

Reply to
O D