Project Time

Page 2 of 2
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Same here. I now have have two main areas.
My "stock prep" area has the wood, my table saw, band saw, and jointer, allowing me to bounce around like a cook in a kitchen. My planer sits on my router table at the edge of this area, as they don't conflict in use. The drum sander is mobile, but uses a DC connection located over the jointer.
The "assembly and joinery" area has my bench, all hand tools, sharpening station, a 12" disc sander, drill press, and and shelves and cabinets containing hand held power tools and things like pocket hole and dowel jigs.
Other stuff, like the router table, mortiser, etc... are less important as for location, as I tend to spend all the time at a single machine when I'm using them, as opposed to bouncing around like Frank described.

inventory either for one project, or for a few projects. Then I put all that gear aside, and get to work and I won't see that planer/joiner stuff until a month later again... I refer to it as batch processing.
We all work differently, I guess.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:53:44 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Well the guy I buy my wood from gives me a great price. But the wood he sells me often presents a significant challenge with regard to yield. So I process by component, cutting to length by component then processing. The shorter and more narrow a piece of stock I work with the better the cleanup thickness. With his wood, just cleaning up stock to .750" finished in wide, long pieces then pulling off the pile, is not a luxury that can be expected.
A little more work, but price is about 1/3 other sources I would have to go to, and he is about a half mile from my house.
I usually approach him with the comment "well I thought I needed a challenge this week so I'm here for some more of that crappy wood".
His normal response "you people are all the same. Don't you know trees have limbs? Have you ever seen a tree that doesn't have limbs".
Frank

LOL. You may want to remind him that trees also have trunks and that you would like of them.But, I have a better picture now and I can fully understand when you are trying to max out on wood you'd be visiting the planer/jointer more often. I find I do that too when I have something special. But, in my line of work, I buy a couple of hundred BdFt and work it all into strips which I will use in my countertop production. always 1-17/32 x 25/32. Boring really. Usually oak..blech.

I bought my PM2000 at the same time you did. I work in a two car garage and I have no driveway so the two cars are in the garage every night. That means the casters on my table get a lot of work. I spent the weekend on a set of four cabinets that will hang on the wall above the stored tablesaw. Each cabinet has three 6 inch drawers and then two 15 inch shelves at the top. I'll post some photos soon. I plan to add a outfeed table, but I'll hinge it so that it folds down and allows me to push the saw to the wall.
Jack

Thank you.

Sweet machine. After having useed my contractors saw for so long the difference between the two is mind blowing.

I made an outfeed table that folded down for my old contractors. It was a space saver.

Table looks nice. Are you going to drag it, or the saw away, when you want to use the miter gauge or a cross cut sled?
William....

Thanks. No need to move either. The table saw top is so long that the back of the miter gauge clears the blade before it taps the outfeed table in the front.
--
www.garagewoodworks.com