Progress on the new bed pproject

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of the drawing of the next king sized bed with 18 drawer bottom storage.

Monday last week I bought materials to begin building and today this is where I stand.

Here is the base that the mattress will lay on and house the 18 drawers. Domino were used, 36 of them, to reinforce the walnut face frame joints on each side.

From there a lot of screws for attaching the face frames to the divider support panels, spacers, races, drawer race ways, toe kicks, and the 15 adjustable feet.

I hate to admit this but that was 304 screws and there will be a few more. No wonder the thing is so heavy. ;~)

And the drawer sides, fronts, and backs. 1/2" Baltic birch.

Leon

I counted 16 drawers? I am curious why you used screws instead of Dado's for the FF.

I loved that walnut, has to be my favorite wood.

Reply to
OFWW

18, 3 in each slot except the back 2 slots. End tables normally block the openings closest to the head board. 6 of the drawers, centered between the outer side drawers will be hidden. Good for seasonal items that you don't use year round.

I am curious why you used screws instead of

I did use Domino's/floating tenons to assemble the walnut face frames.

The face frames attach to the face frames flush to the openings on the first and second rows. I would end up with rabbits and dado's instead of just dados, so not quite as strong as a dado. The face frames are mostly decoration as there are 6 reinforcement strips to keep the wide panels parallel and square to the floor. Well, the face frames do help with that but with a load of screws elsewhere I felt that a few more to attach the face frames would not hurt. No screws will show. This is the fourth bed that I have built this way and the oldest, ours, is still sound and does not squeek, 7 years later and having been moved 2 times. ;~) The innards are not elegant, because of the screws, but compared to a water bed, where I got the inspiration, it could hold elephants.

I love it too. It is relatively lite weight and softer that oak but unfortunately more than double the price of oak and easy to ding compared to oak.

Reply to
Leon

Yabbut, this bed is for soon to be newlyweds, right? LOL

Reply to
Swingman

This is pretty much what this comment meant. :~) Still testing!

the oldest, ours, is still sound and does not squeak, 7 years later and having been moved 2 times. ;~)

Reply to
Leon