Progress On New House

Page 1 of 2
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.
Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5205031445/in/photostream /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5205637858/in/photostream /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5205034599/in/photostream/

Looking good!

Looking good!
I'ma liking it!

Wow! Eight weeks from first shovel to moving van? I guess they didn't wait for the slab to set up before they were hammering on sticks. ;-)

They only sunk into the concrete a little bit. ;~)
On 11/24/2010 05:41 PM, Leon wrote:

- Doug

Thank you.
Leon wrote:

Thats great progress. Whats nice about building a house now is only the Grade A Tradesman are left. All the Hacks have been weeded out! Are you doing any of the work? How many square feet is your home? I like the design, kinda like new meets old. What would you call the style? Also love the high Hip Roofs and the long windows. Also would love to know the Sq.Ft. cost? Lots of questions I know but this is my line of work.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Re: High hip roofs. Evidently high roofs are required here (East Alabama), which is nuts considering the weather. I sorta like my high hip roof (15:12) because it's giving me space in the attic (bonus room area) to put a decent shop. ;-)
Rich wrote:

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Indent? Front Porch and or the in set rock. Actually the lower section of the front of the house is rock.

Massive 8' x 8' front porch! I guess "whatever keeps the rain and snow off" works, eh?
Screen it in (I'm dying to try ScreenEze here) for a nice morning/evening rest area where you can wave to neighbors.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

The front porch is approximately 5x14, back porch 11x11.

It must have been the back porch I was thinking of. It looked as wide and deep as it was tall, so I called it 8'. My bad.
http://www.screeneze.com/ in case you were interested. I'm still looking for discounters ('cuz I don't pay retail if I can help it) but it would be easy to remove the screens and install visqueen for the fall and winter, keeping the place more usable for more of the year.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Ahhh, you may be talking about the house number block.

there a re a few of us that tend to agree that the better workers are probably the ones working these days. Unfortunately I am only paying for the house. I wold have liked to have done the kitchen but that was basically our of the question with this type construction and builder. Sq Ft 2280. Approximately 1700 down stairs and 580 upstairs. The upstairs, a full bath, 1 bedroom, and a game room is pretty much dedicated to my wife and her quilting stuff. I get the 3 car garage for wood working. Style??? Clueless... however the front with the rock, which will also be att the base of the front porch posts, has an Austin, Tx kinda style of architecture, sorta. Cost about $75 per square foot.
.

Leon wrote:

Yes after looking closely at that side of the garage I figured it was a lighted address bar. Was this your plan or was it the builders? I really like the architecture and the long windows give it a Victorian/1880's look. Good price per sq.ft.!! I figured the exposed steel posts were going to get a stone finish as well as the front facade. No basements in TX? Nice place and lots of property. Enjoy your new HOME!!!
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

apparently a product of Strand Engineering IIRC. The builder is DR Horton. We saw 4 different builders using a "very similar" floor plan. No basement. ;~( Then engineering company acts as a 3rd party inspector during the foundation and framing process.

Good Lord Leon, that is incredible progress and a great looking home to boot.
Are you participating with any of the finish or letting the builders do it? With your woodworking background, watching has to be a tad frustrating.
I thought we kept things going on our house. We acted as general contractor and broke ground in August of 2008. The sheet-rock crew finished the first weekend of December and we took over from there. We were able to move in on the first of February, 2009 but it was far from finished. I did have an excellent local shop do most of the cabinets but I did some of them myself. Basement is the 2011 project.
I have told several friends that when you finish out your own retirement home, you will spend the rest of your days looking at your screw-ups!
We get lots of compliments, but I know where all of those little buggers are.
RonB

Good Lord Leon, that is incredible progress and a great looking home to boot.
Thank you, and yeah the guys have been busy. Oddly I try to visit every couple of days and 90% of the work is done M-F.
Are you participating with any of the finish or letting the builders do it? With your woodworking background, watching has to be a tad frustrating.
I would have liked to have done the kitchen but had no time and this particular type construction does not allow for any delay so to speak. I am involved in another kitchen job at the moment and that is being followed by a bedroom job and lots of stuff for theis house when I get the time.
I thought we kept things going on our house. We acted as general contractor and broke ground in August of 2008. The sheet-rock crew finished the first weekend of December and we took over from there. We were able to move in on the first of February, 2009 but it was far from finished. I did have an excellent local shop do most of the cabinets but I did some of them myself. Basement is the 2011 project.
I have told several friends that when you finish out your own retirement home, you will spend the rest of your days looking at your screw-ups!
We get lots of compliments, but I know where all of those little buggers are.
LOL.. You will forget those little problem areas as time passes. I have done some major upgrades to our current house and there were mistakes but I only really remember one.