Problem with pocket holes in plywood

I'm using a Kreg step drill bit, Kreg screws, and a "Task" brand (US made) pocket hole jig from Lee Valley. I line up the two pieces of plywood flush and drive in the screws. For some reason, the screws cause the plywood to become offset so that they are no longer flush, with one face protruding by about 1/16". What am I doing wrong?
Norm makes it looks so easy.

Are you using the Vise-grip clamp to keep the pieces flush while driving the screw?
todd
No, I've been holding them together with my fingers. Maybe that is the problem.

That is absolutely your problem.. Since the screws go in at angle, the screw will tend to lift the second board that it is going into. Use a clamp.
"AL" wrote in message

Clamp them tightly to the top of a flat surface, like your workbench or sawhorse, so the two pieces can't move on you. I use a couple of shop made wooden "I" beams to do face frames this way. Clamp them to the table, and the "I" beams give you multiple options for clamping your parts when doing pocket hole joinery.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Sounds like you're not clamping sufficiently in the direction that the movement is happening?
I clamp mine before putting the screw in.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net