Print your own gun?

Page 1 of 2
Just to add some additional fuel to the gun controversy.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1269926

What controversy?
Richard wrote:

Whether to outlaw 3D printers and pressure cookers.
--
 GW Ross

 That does not compute.

LMAO ...
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

wrote in message

This is little more than noise... a goal oriented attacker will find a means to carry out their deed whether the means are legal or not.

Are you saying that someone who wants to commit a crime will do so even if it's illegal?
On 5/7/2013 10:29 AM, Richard wrote:

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message

First local failure of NY's new SAFE Act... SURPRISE!
http://www.news10.com/story/22192047/troy-police-first-city-defendant-charged-under-nys-safe-act
TROY, N.Y. — After receiving reports of shots fired around 8:30 Tuesday night, Troy Police arrested Raysheem Washington more two hours later when they found a fully loaded .9 mm handgun with a high capacity magazine in his possession.
Police remained vigilant following the unsolved shots fired call until patrols narrowed their efforts on a group of three male subjects at approximately 10:45 p.m. The shots fired call occurred at Jefferson and Third streets and the suspects had been seen walking in the area just south of that location when patrols blanketed the premises.
Police said that within minutes of their arrival, a group matching the description of the suspects implicated in the investigation was reported to have been walking on Second Street in the area of Madison Street. Shortly after, police said two of the suspects were safely detained, but the third suspect ran from the scene.
Officer Charles Rockwell pursued the suspect, who police now identify as 25-year-old Raysheem Washington of Troy. A struggle ensued between the two, until backup arrived to assist in the arrest. As officers attempted to cuff Washington, he reached for his right side, where officers discovered and secured a fully loaded .9 mm handgun with 13 rounds of ammunition.
Officer Rockwell sustained a broken hand from the altercation. He was treated and released from Samaritan Hospital Tuesday night.
Washington was charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon 2nd degree, Criminal Possession of a Weapon 3rd (large capacity ammunition feeding device), Obstruction of Governmental Administration 2nd, Resisting Arrest, and Possession of Marijuana. He will be arraigned Wednesday morning in Troy Police Court.
http://readme.readmedia.com/Recent-events-prove-the-SAFE-Act-doesn-t-make-New-York-safe/6080391
"Clearly the alleged suspect was not deterred by the Governor's new prohibition on keeping more than seven rounds in magazine," said NYSRPA President Tom King. "He also was unfazed by the 100+ year old Sullivan Act and it's prohibition on unlicensed possession of a handgun. This is another clear example of how New York's gun laws, old and new, do not make the state any safer."
"Richard" wrote in message

Yup... funny how that notion is lost on folks...

There is no controversy except in the press. I haven't met anyone that thinks this is a topic of any value. Why? A few minutes of reading:
http://news.yahoo.com/not-easy-3-d-print-gun-135843235.html
I can't see any criminal putting that much effort into an enterprise with such a small return. Real guns are just too cheap and easy to get from underground sources.
This is the second source I have read that says the gun is good for one shot. Again, since most drive-bys, street assassinations and gangster gunfights burn up a lot of rounds because the folks shooting the guns don't spend much time at the range, I can't imagine a one shot, completely inaccurate gun being of much interest.
This is just another hysterical offshoot topic of gun control nonsense.
Robert
On Tue, 7 May 2013 10:37:07 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Don't put much real thought into stuff like this do you? This isn't about current criminals using it to make their guns. It's about the very real chance it could happen in the very near future.
In any event, it was just an article posted for interest. Seems everytime a gun is mentioned, there's an immediate conflict between the two opposing camps of haves and have not's to owning a gun.
replying to none , passerby wrote:

What exactly is the controversy? All you can do with this silly looking thing is to kill *yourself*. You can't hit any target with it but you definitely can put it in your mouth and pull the trigger. You can also accidentally kill yourself if it just blows up in your face due to printing or assembly defects, material quality and such. And there won't be a manufacturer that your widow can sue...
But people have been using firearms for killing themselves for a long time now
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/national/gun-deaths /
So, where is the controversy? A (properly working) 3D printer is nowhere near as available as a ready-to-kill hand gun is and costs *way* more. Plus the cost of the college education to use the printer and the software that runs it ... Reminds of Chris Rock's $5000 bullet:
" ...
And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your f*cking head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’
"
So, no, not a controversy. Probably the best thing that ever happened to both gun control and 3D printing industry which could use some cash infusion by 3D printing gun enthusiasts.
"passerby" wrote in message
replying to none , passerby wrote:

What exactly is the controversy? All you can do with this silly looking thing is to kill *yourself*. You can't hit any target with it but you definitely can put it in your mouth and pull the trigger. You can also accidentally kill yourself if it just blows up in your face due to printing or assembly defects, material quality and such. And there won't be a manufacturer that your widow can sue...
But people have been using firearms for killing themselves for a long time now
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/national/gun-deaths/
So, where is the controversy? A (properly working) 3D printer is nowhere near as available as a ready-to-kill hand gun is and costs *way* more. Plus the cost of the college education to use the printer and the software that runs it ... Reminds of Chris Rock's $5000 bullet:
" ..
And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your f*cking head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’
..
"
So, no, not a controversy. Probably the best thing that ever happened to both gun control and 3D printing industry which could use some cash infusion by 3D printing gun enthusiasts. ==========================================================================I hear this from time to time. Does everyone think that technology stands still? 3D printing is the hot up and commer of manufacturing. Making a fully functional gun is quite possible using existing technology. There is a company now that can 3D print metals such as titanium, stainless steel, cobalt chrome and tool steel. This technology has a ways to go but, eventually I believe that 3D printing, or an offshoot of it, will replace machining as a manufacturing process.
replying to CW , passerby wrote:

Did you see the size of the machine that prints with steel powder on Science Channel's How It's Made? It's about half the size of my house, costs in 100s of thousands and requires a team of skilled operators to run. I suppose you can print parts of a gun from metal with it (the fact that it will be porous notwithstanding) but it will cost you an arm, a leg, a kidney and a lung. This is definitely *not* what the guys at Defense Distributed had in mind.
You are absolutely right and technology does not stand still. But 3D printing is most certainly not an up and coming tech! 30 years ago all of the tech used in 3D printing today was already invented and machines (insanely expensive) were already available, too. It took 30 years or so for it to become somewhat accessible to the general public and will perhaps take just as long for there to be a way to print with metal at home. As for 3D printing completely replacing machining - that'll happen at about the same time we'll park flying cars in our garages.
I admire your belief in progress, I really do. But I just think that by the time the tech will catch up with the specs needed to print a gun, we might have different issues to worry about other than guns.
wrote in

Maybe so but a homebuilt CNC is very doable, right now. I have one in my garage.
Larry
"Larry" wrote in message

If you can teach it by running a stylus over it writing a program wouldn't be necessary... Lay your 1911 or AR frame on the bench and trace it. That would be cool!
... waiting for pics in ABPW ! ;~)
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

I think this is a model that may apply here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q-e9lp7ZJ9w

wrote in

That's pretty damn cool! However, there's no danger of mine doing that any time soon.
Larry
On Tue, 07 May 2013 21:44:01 +0000, passerby

Interesting that you chose to use a kidney as one of you examples to purchase such a machine. Not so long ago, (this lifetime in fact), the first kidney dialysis machines were the size of a room. Now, they're down to the size of a large bread basket.
And, considering the rush of technology these days, your house sized machine example above, should be consumer sized and priced in less than ten years I'd guess.