Print your own gun?

----------------------------------------------------- You sure that wasn't McCain?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Tue, 07 May 2013 21:44:01 +0000, passerby

Interesting that you chose to use a kidney as one of you examples to purchase such a machine. Not so long ago, (this lifetime in fact), the first kidney dialysis machines were the size of a room. Now, they're down to the size of a large bread basket.

And, considering the rush of technology these days, your house sized machine example above, should be consumer sized and priced in less than ten years I'd guess.

Reply to
none

On Tue, 7 May 2013 22:34:10 +0000 (UTC),

You're completely missing the point. It's technology this is here now and will be improved up very quickly.

Reply to
none

On Tue, 7 May 2013 10:37:07 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Don't put much real thought into stuff like this do you? This isn't about current criminals using it to make their guns. It's about the very real chance it could happen in the very near future.

In any event, it was just an article posted for interest. Seems everytime a gun is mentioned, there's an immediate conflict between the two opposing camps of haves and have not's to owning a gun.

Reply to
none

I see you're blind to the facts of life.

Ah, so I'm not important enough to be "assassinated", there is no one on the planet who is. Go it.

Good grief. They're going to be of no help against a lone gunman with a suicide wish. Perhaps John Hinkley didn't exist in your universe.

They've already said that it's not going to happen. Keep up.

Reply to
krw

On Tue, 7 May 2013 23:39:03 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

You make my earlier point... a goal oriented attacker will find a means regardless of any laws.

They postponed implementing them according to their blog and web site. Not canceled the changes...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I think this is a model that may apply here!

John Grossbohlin

First local failure of NY's new SAFE Act... SURPRISE!

TROY, N.Y. ? After receiving reports of shots fired around 8:30 Tuesday night, Troy Police arrested Raysheem Washington more two hours later when they found a fully loaded .9 mm handgun with a high capacity magazine in his possession.

Police remained vigilant following the unsolved shots fired call until patrols narrowed their efforts on a group of three male subjects at approximately 10:45 p.m. The shots fired call occurred at Jefferson and Third streets and the suspects had been seen walking in the area just south of that location when patrols blanketed the premises.

Police said that within minutes of their arrival, a group matching the description of the suspects implicated in the investigation was reported to have been walking on Second Street in the area of Madison Street. Shortly after, police said two of the suspects were safely detained, but the third suspect ran from the scene.

Officer Charles Rockwell pursued the suspect, who police now identify as

25-year-old Raysheem Washington of Troy. A struggle ensued between the two, until backup arrived to assist in the arrest. As officers attempted to cuff Washington, he reached for his right side, where officers discovered and secured a fully loaded .9 mm handgun with 13 rounds of ammunition.

Officer Rockwell sustained a broken hand from the altercation. He was treated and released from Samaritan Hospital Tuesday night.

Washington was charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon 2nd degree, Criminal Possession of a Weapon 3rd (large capacity ammunition feeding device), Obstruction of Governmental Administration 2nd, Resisting Arrest, and Possession of Marijuana. He will be arraigned Wednesday morning in Troy Police Court.

"Clearly the alleged suspect was not deterred by the Governor's new prohibition on keeping more than seven rounds in magazine," said NYSRPA President Tom King. "He also was unfazed by the 100+ year old Sullivan Act and it's prohibition on unlicensed possession of a handgun. This is another clear example of how New York's gun laws, old and new, do not make the state any safer."

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Of course, but beside the point. A plastic gun will be of use to someone, even if it is single-shot.

It's government. They've never going to admit that they were wrong. They should have floated the idea in the industry before burning the bush. Not their style, though.

Reply to
krw

And the most dangerous place in Texas anywhere on the muzzle side of Cheney.

Reply to
Markem

At least he used an elegant little 28 gauge.... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news:YO-dnc4-5spW7xfMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's pretty damn cool! However, there's no danger of mine doing that any time soon.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

...and shot a lawyer.

Reply to
krw

How about getting past the metal detectors at federal courthouses? The Capitol? And other similar places.

Fortunately, my state (Texas) allows regular concealed handguns in the capitol, the governor's office, just about anywhere.

Reply to
HeyBub

The response was to TSA detection... However, that said, we as a society, need to forget the notion of stopping ALL violent crime and stopping ALL terrorism through legislation and law enforcement. It is an impossible state of affairs for a number of reasons. Firstly, a goal oriented attacker will find a means to attack whether it's legal or not. In line with this thread, making 3D printed non-metallic guns illegal will not stop people from making them... and it will not stop people from substituting other weapons. In theory if there were armed, skilled police officers assigned to follow everyone 24/7 crime and terrorism could be eliminated... but to hire that many police surely criminals would be hired and the taxes would be pretty unreasonable for all... there is plenty of historical information to support those statements.

How odd... a government that trusts it's people! Then again, the "unpaid" police force that it creates further raises the opportunity costs to criminals and thus supplements the paid police with no increase in taxes. A win/win for society.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Heh! Imagine a MSM journalist with a Concealed Handgun License (CHL)! That's exactly what happened in Texas - they must really be conflicted.

Here's what happened: A couple of years ago, some dufus exited our state capitol, pulled out his pistol and popped a few rounds into the air. This freaked out some, so a policy was put in place to require passing through a metal detector for visitors to the building.

This rule, however, conflicted with state law on, as you said, trusting those with a CHL.

So, a separate queue was set up for CHL holders - "Speak Friend, and Enter" (flash your license and boogie). So, if you're a reporter, and want to avoid the sometimes lengthy metal-detector line, you get the license.

One wonders how the media types sleep at night...

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm no fan of the bias exhibited by the press. However, like with painting all gun owners with the same brush there is risk with painting all journalists with the same brush... Personally I know a guy who spent his career in the newspaper industry as a reporter, editor and managing editor. He also taught journalism at a SUNY school which is where I first encountered him. He was also the student advisor for the Legislative Gazette, a publication held in high regard by all parties. While there he mentored hundreds of journalism students.

Later I encountered him at a gun show... turns out he was a gun dealer too! The last time I saw him was in a State Senator's office in Albany, NY where we were both there to discuss some pending legislation that was not justified by anything but emotions and lots of irrationality. The recent SAFE Act includes pretty much all of it... the story of which needs no repeating here.

Maybe the MSM journalist is a closet gun owner? ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin