Prices on ShopSmith seem excessive...

Page 1 of 2
I am going to an auction that has a bunch of shopsmith tools, so I looked through their website.
They get $500 for a 1/2hp DC and $500 for an 11" band saw. Neither is part of their "system".
Seems about 3x market, or am I confused.
Shop Smith realizes that some people subscribe to the Brand Loyalty game.

No doubt about the brand loyalty reasoning. Also, if you take a good look at a machine they are fairly complicated with their speed controls, mulitple tables, power outputs, etc. they probably cost a little more to produce. I haven't had opportunity to really look at the newer ones but they used to be a pretty high quality machine.

I saw a demo in Home depot of a multi-function machine with the name Shopsmith on it. I think it was priced under $500. It looked to be about the same quality as the $99 Delta table saw - pretty crappy and lightweight.
Bob

I can't comment with Shopmiths as a whole, but I did end up with a '90s table saw attachment for one a couple years ago. I think you're right about quality. Looked like something you find off a $200 portable saw.
GTO(John)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote:

I don't think you guys were looking at Shopsmiths. Here's their site: http://www.shopsmith.com /
They may have flaws, but they are not lightweight, not priced under $500, and the table saw is part of the package.
LD

As far as I know (and I have owned a Shopsmith and been active in a Shopsmith users group for 5 years or so now)the only multi-function tool Shopsmith has made during the time Home Depot has existed is the Mark V (models 500, 510 and 520). You haven't seen one of these new priced at $500 ;) For the last year or two Shopsmith has moved their primary sales demonstrations to Lowes (from previously doing them at malls, etc.). If you saw one at Lowes, the entry level set-up was about $2,000. It would beat the crap out of a $99 Delta tablesaw and the tablesaw is its weakest function by far. They are not for everyone and they are not a substitute for high end stand-alone tools, but they are well made and, with the care you should show any $2,000 tool, they will last for generations. I know of a number of early 1950s models that have been continually well used since being purchased and are still running great and being supported by the company. Also, while Shopsmith's prices show that they are VERY "proud" of their equipment, their customer service rates up there with Lee Valley (who are also rightfully "proud" of their products).
Dave Hall
" You haven't seen one of these new priced at $500 ;" (Shopsmith)
My son bought a 1997 Shopsmith at an auction. When he got it home he found the original invoice in the papers for $3,7---. It included bandsaw, biscuit cutter, sander and some other attachments.
Walt Conner
On 18 Oct 2004 16:00:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote:

I have to agree, Dave... I'm on my 2nd shopsmith since 1972 (lost the 1st one in a divorce) and they are a very well built machine..
I never use mine for a saw anymore, pretty much as a drill press/router and lathe, but before I had the CMS and RAS it was pretty much my whole shop...
I do have to admit that for small work, the combo of tilting table, miter fence and precise adjustments with the quill sure make compound miters nice...

there are a lot of look-alike multi-purpose tools out there that are "shop work", "work smith" etc...

most of the sanding stuff, etc., etc....
It's very good, heavy stuff, most of which has lasted since I got it in 1982... If you check out Ebay, you'll see that SS stuff goes there for close to retail... I got outbid on 3 SS biscuit jointer kits because I wouldn't go over $115 for what shopsmith sells for $136.50...
Usually the bandsaw attached and is driven by the shopsmith head piece.... I'm not real crazy about that idea..

Yeh, that is all I saw on the webpage; but the auction has an identical independent bandsaw and also an independent jointer that is identical to their system tools.

It *is* the system tool. With a stand-alone base, and a separate power unit.
That stand-alone 4"(!!) jointer costs about $1k, at list.
nearly $500 for the jointer 'head' Something like $299 for the stand. and around $200 for the power unit (motor).
*ouch*!
Saw this on the site. Think it may bear on the discussion?
Reason #7 The quality you look for in all your important "Investments" That's right. You should look at the Shopsmith MARK V as an investment in the quality of your life. It's been built for you in the good old USA with painstaking care and attention-to-detail.

Mon, Oct 18, 2004, 2:52pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (macdavis) says: <snip> Usually the bandsaw attached and is driven by the shopsmith headpiece.... I'm not real crazy about that idea..
I had that type bandsaw, when I had one, worked great. I had the jointer too, same hookup, it worked great too. Just a bit of a PITA swapping back and forth. But, for a very limited shop space, I don't think you could beat having a Shopsmith.
Except for the minor PITA of swapping back and forth, I was very happy with my Shopsmith. But, some people don't mind that. It is quick to do, and was accurate. When I sold it, even got a vew more $ than I paid for it (used). The extra $ was probably because I'd painted it bright yellow.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3152.bay.webtv.net:
<snip>

With collectibles, it's all about the provenance. The yellow just went to verify that _this_ machine had been used in the shop by the woodworking gods' current earthly representative.
I can just imagine: Antiques Roadshow, circa 2030....
Patriarch
Tue, Oct 19, 2004, 2:58pm (EDT+4) patriarch (patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOsays: With collectibles, it's all about the provenance. The yellow just went to verify that _this_ machine had been used in the shop by the woodworking gods' current earthly representative. I can just imagine: Antiques Roadshow, circa 2030....
Yer right, I shoulda autographed it too.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:11:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

yeah.. thinking back now, the ShopSmith got me a lot more organized in my projects... you tend to cut all the parts, then do the routing/drilling, etc.. so you aren't changing configurations more than you have to..
I've had one for over 50 years and it is still going strong. The main advantage is one motor vs many plus the space problem. If you have a small area or a garage, they can roll out of the way and the accessories can hang on a wall. I'm lucky that I have the whole basement, but if I ever downsize, the Shopsmith will be the tool to go with me. Go to one of the demonstrations that they have occasionally at malls. Their web site will have the dates and where.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:37:38 -0400, "Charles Callaghan"
I don't know if you've moved much in those 50 years, but I've moved several times since I got the ShopSmith and it sure is easy to move! (slide head stock to one end, put other end on truck, slide to other end and lift on truck)