Ripping large panels on Shopsmith

Hey Shopsmith owners:

Any tips for ripping a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch plywood?

Thanks

Reply to
LRT

LRT asks:

Former Shopsmith owner: 1" styrofoam laid over a frame of 2x4s on a couple sawhorses.

Set the circular saw blade to 1/2" and use an edge guide.

Charlie Self

"Old age is fifteen years older than I am." Oliver Wendell Holmes

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'm new to woodworking and just got into it by picking up a used Shopsmith. The guy I bought it from (he owned it for about 10 years) discouraged me from trying to rip whole 4x8 sheets. He said that it was hard to do accurately and even harder to do it safely.

I just tried ripping a 4x4x3/4 in half a couple weekends ago and it was pretty challenging. I'm going to follow his advice from now on and rip bigger pieces using a straight edge and circular saw.

Wade

Reply to
Wade

Wade wisely notes:

Yes. That high table on the Shopsmith is a horror with large sheets. And the table is also tiny, which is even less help.

Charlie Self

"Old age is fifteen years older than I am." Oliver Wendell Holmes

Reply to
Charlie Self

I do this even though I own a table saw. 4x8 goods, one person, and lolly columns can make for a good ol' time.

I skip the horses and put the foam right on the ground.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

How do you get rid of the styrofoam dust that clings just everywhere?

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

I haven't noticed any. I use blue foam insulation. Maybe it's a different material? Maybe my basement has higher humidity, lowering static cling? I don't know. The white styrofoam sticks to everything.

I'll have to pay attention during the dry winter and see if I get this dust, but I don't remember any that didn't vacuum up, or was stuck to the tools.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Most probably, with blue insulation i also never had the hassle caused by the white stuff, which goes (in gemany) under the brand name "Styropor".

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel