Powermatic Model 2000 tablesaw?

Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Reply to
Seeker

IIRC the PM 66 had the dust collection at the blade and certainly had "2" wide drive belts on the 66. My local dealer had a 2000 saw and gave me a quick demonstration of its features. The riving knife and blade guard come off and go back on quickly and with out tools. I was impressed by the built in mobility. The 2000 is also quite heavy compared to its competition. If I were replacing my cabinet saw it would be a toss up between the SawStop, PM 2000 and the Laguna. IMHO the Laguna has many nice features not found on other saws.

Reply to
Leon

Fine Woodworking Magazine just recently did a review & the model 2000 scored at the top.

FYI - JJS

Seeker wrote:

Reply to
No-One

Looks like a real nice machine. If was needed a new saw, I'd look at it real hard.

Dave

Teamcasa

I think the Laguna is in a different league and price range - sitting there with commercial grade rigs that are meaningful for a commercial cabinet shop, especially after you invest in the sliding table and the shop real estate in which to fit it. I don't get the gaga over the built in wheels on the PM 2000. They only support the saw itself and take forever to raise and lower. What about a long extension table? I think the rig on your table saw is much more useful.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Certainly more IIRC $2900 range.

I don't get the gaga over the built in wheels on

On the one I saw the wheels were lowered and the extension table was lifted and moved sorta like a wheel barrow.

I think the rig on your table saw

I prefer mine also.

Reply to
Leon

Are you ready to cut that Pecan yet? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I just bought the current June issue of FWW (sharpening article on the cover). The PM2000 and the new SawStop 31230 both made "best over all". This article compares 13 current models. I didn't read it all because I'm not buying one, living in an apartment.

Reply to
AAvK

Why? when you can buy a perfectly good vintage delta table saw for a third of the price. Not to mention the value of the art deco off/on switch. SH - The "shaking his head, old iron" woodworker.

Reply to
Slowhand

Just ordered the PM2000 from Amazon.com with 10% off plus free shipping for a total cost of 1979.00 and the 6 wk lead time will be OK. The Laguna was $2900.00 to the house. Will use the extra savings to pipe in the new Grizzly 2HP cyclone D/C. Now If I could just get my new shop finished in time.

Reply to
Seeker

Slowhand

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Where we live on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi including Al, LA, Vintage anything is a rare find and i mean rare. Fine woodworking machinery is almost unheard of here, fishing boats and guns on the other hand are plentiful. Thanks

Reply to
Seeker

Shock and surprize!!! Congrats!!!!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

This is so true . . . people that do not live here can not imagine how narrow the interest are here . . . . I'll bet no where else in the country do they have drive thru daiquiri shops . . . beer is served at ALL public functions . . . graduations, craft shows, parades, company picnics . . .etc . .

When you "axe" your co-workers about there up-coming weekend plans it always includes getting "drunk" . . .

*Going fishing and getting drunk. *Going hunting and getting drunk. *Going to the game, tailgating and getting drunk. *Going play golf and getting drunk. Some are not so active . . . and they just start getting drunk early on Friday and sober up enough to do the Sunday afternoon bar-b-q and get drunk again. (My next door neighbor)

As to quality considerations involved in purchases for anything other than boats or guns . . . "GOODA - ENUF" is the best description . . .

Steve > > Seeker wrote:

Reply to
Petrified Woodworker

Reply to
Slowhand

On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:52:14 -0700, Slowhand

They *can*- but I never was able to get one from a web search or the paper. The only decent secondhand stuff I've been able to get in on was from networking- when someone I know is upgrading, or when I spot the corner of something potentially spiffy poking out from under a tarp in the back of a warehouse or garage. Sometimes it pays to ask, a lot of big tools are just sitting idle because nobody wants to go to the trouble of moving them.

Once good stuff hits the wider world, it seems there's always somebody waiting to pounce on it- and they're usually quicker to get it than I am.

Reply to
Prometheus

Yabbut that was the days before corporations used "My Little Pony" as a standard.

Reply to
Swingman

Vintage delta had real horsepower. Let me put it this way, I've used new delta and old delta. New powermatic and old powermatic. The old holds it's own just fine. But hey, don't just take my word for it. Find an old saw to run. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Is the PM 2000 Chiwanese? What motor?

PM 66 still USA?