Powermatic Jointer

I recently decided to purchase the JET DC1100 Dust Collector for my garage/shop. I can get a $100 rebate if I buy another tool. I'm looking at the Powermatic model 6"x 66" jointer. I can save $100.00 on the $749 pricetag and get free shipping from Amazon. Any comments or warnings before I take the plunge?

Thanks for the insight

LNH

Reply to
LtNtHacker

Um, have it shipped to me?

That's a nice tool, we hear about BAD's all the time. I have a "standard" length 6" that I picked up for $350 or so. I'm still searching for a used 8" or larger unit for a good price, as my work tends to favor wider over longer.

Enjoy the PM!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

That is a great tool. But before you buy, consider the 8". I was debating between the 6" PM and the 8" Delta DJ-20, I went for the extra 2" and never regretted it. In fact there has been a couple of times whne I wish that 8" was 12". If you buy the 6" now, it will definitely not be your last jointer purchse in your life.

Reply to
A.I.

I took delivery of one a couple months ago and am quite satisfied with it. The longer bed on the PM was the deciding factor ... the 8" DJ-20 was just too big for my shop. This is one item I personally would buy locally instead of mail order ... too big, too heavy, and too much that can go wrong.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't want to disappoint Barry, so here I am to put in 2 cents worth regarding the PM54A. I bought it because of it's long bed and generally good reviews. In a 6" model, as far as I know it's got the longest bed on the market. It works very nicely and Jet/Powermatic has been great to deal with. I had a broken part on delivery which they took care of immediately. The tables and fence are flat enough to turn out boards with LONG straight surfaces.

dave

LtNtHacker wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Will sell you one for $698. The shipping may cancel out the savings... You might even get lucky and get a scratch and dent for $599.

I got mine there and used my rebate to get the dust collector. I guess I did it backwards from you but same two tools ended up in the shop. In my very limited experience, they are doing a good job. I just got the bags from American Fabric and it made a big difference in the DC.

Bama John

Reply to
John

Buy a 60". Those puny 58"s will only disapoint you.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Phisherman

I guess then maybe its time for me to upgrade ... lol

I value bed lenght much more then table width on a jointer .. Just my personal thoughts...(as a hobbiest)...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

snip