Powermatic Jointer

I recently decided to purchase the JET DC1100 Dust Collector for my garage/shop. I can get a $100 rebate if I buy another tool. I'm looking at the Powermatic model 6"x 66" jointer. I can save $100.00 on the $749 pricetag and get free shipping from Amazon. Any comments or warnings before I take the plunge?
Thanks for the insight
LNH
On 28 Sep 2003 03:50:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (LtNtHacker) wrote:

Um, have it shipped to me? <G>
That's a nice tool, we hear about BAD's all the time. I have a "standard" length 6" that I picked up for $350 or so. I'm still searching for a used 8" or larger unit for a good price, as my work tends to favor wider over longer.
Enjoy the PM!
Barry
That is a great tool. But before you buy, consider the 8". I was debating between the 6" PM and the 8" Delta DJ-20, I went for the extra 2" and never regretted it. In fact there has been a couple of times whne I wish that 8" was 12". If you buy the 6" now, it will definitely not be your last jointer purchse in your life.
hda

the
and
Buy a 60". Those puny 58"s will only disapoint you.

debating
never
8"
jointer
A.I. wrote:

I guess then maybe its time for me to upgrade ... lol
I value bed lenght much more then table width on a jointer .. Just my personal thoughts...(as a hobbiest)...
Bob Griffiths

I second that emotion.
Bob G wrote:
snip

I took delivery of one a couple months ago and am quite satisfied with it. The longer bed on the PM was the deciding factor ... the 8" DJ-20 was just too big for my shop. This is one item I personally would buy locally instead of mail order ... too big, too heavy, and too much that can go wrong.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
LtNtHacker wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (LtNtHacker) wrote in message

http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com/product.asp?ID &CATCODE=%207
Will sell you one for $698. The shipping may cancel out the savings... You might even get lucky and get a scratch and dent for $599.
I got mine there and used my rebate to get the dust collector. I guess I did it backwards from you but same two tools ended up in the shop. In my very limited experience, they are doing a good job. I just got the bags from American Fabric and it made a big difference in the DC.
Bama John
Good choice on the 54A with the nice long table and heavy fence.