Power thickness planer choices

Page 2 of 2

... and I wouldn't have believed I'd ever say it, but you're right.
As I've said before: "Once upon a time Jet copied Delta, but not as good. Now Delta copies Jet ... but not as good".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06
Swingman wrote:

Thanks for that one, Swingman...I've been working on my yard all day, and I'm hot and tired. Now I'm hot and tired and smiling, though.
I think I'm done with most new equipment...my next big iron is going to be the good stuff.
USED equipment.
I've built a shop that gets me by for now, but tools are like boats...there's ALWAYS a bigger one out there...
Right now my project/tool ratio is way way way too low. Once I get that back in line, and the bank account heals up, I'll start replacing stuff with good-ole American-made Delta/Powermatic. Here is SE Michigan, there's a guy that refurbs it and sells if for what I believe to be a reasonable price. And best of all, he _services_ it.
Tough to beat in my book.
To throw more options on, many people have been very happy with the Rigid 13": planer as well.
Personally I own teh DW735 planer and have not yet changed my blades. It is time, but I am being cheap. Blades can be picked up on Ebay for aboyt $20.00 less per set which puts the three blades in line with other planers out there.
I've had a couple of issus on mine, but I WOULD buy one again. Amazon got mine to me in one piece, but there really was only tax savings on that order.
Cons: If a piece gets thicker it can hang up on the roller and peel some rubber off. The sucker is HEAVY if you need to get it out and put it away for each job very very loud mine got some pitch or something on the pickup for the chips that I've not been able to get off completely so I usually have some chips left on the bed, wood. This can cause some "dents" in the wood as they transit through the next time. I hook my DW735 to a HF converted Wynn dust collector, which removes everything the DW735 gets off the surface (see above) Not powerfull enough to take more than a 16th off anything wide Friend broke his head due to a nail and it's on unknown time backorder (30 days and wating)
Pro's: I expect resale of my planner even after a couple three years to be 80% of the new price The surface quality is VERY good. On Beech you can finish it out of the planer until you get a knick. A couple of passes with a sander when you have knicks salves that problem. I've not been successfull with a hand plane taking a knick line off.
Alan
I bought my Delta in 1994 and still use it quite a bit. I know they've made some model changes since then but the ugly lil' thing is still doing what it was intended for.

Problem is that Delta tools are not what they were 12 years ago.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06