Possible interest in short, free NL

Put it up...they will come(to coin a really hokey line) as will I.

Charles Self wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

works for me charles. sign me up! fartntouchit at hotmail.com.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Call it an 'image', even name it with the extension for a recognized image format. make the _acutal_ content of the file a MS-executable.

Windows is _so_dumb_, that it looks at the file 'type' (based on extension) to figure out whether or not to automatically 'execute' the file, and then

*ignores* the extension, and looks at the actual content to determine *how* to execute it.

Furthermore, there *are* exploits of defective code in the MS 'jpeg' decoder. which allow you to embed malicious *code* into the 'data' of a properly- constructed .JPG file, and it _will_ be executed.

I won't debate terminology. "text description"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Ah yes, that little joyful thing.

Yes it does. That can get really frustrating if you have two .'s in the filename.

I thought they fixed that? But yeah, I remember that now.

I wasn't trying to play word games, I assure you. so yeah, that's a tag, not a link as in "click here". They're handled differently, otherwise I wouldn't have made the distinction.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Nonsense; Windows parses the filename from the end backwards to determine the extension. I can easily have a file called this.is.a.picture.of.my.nephew.jpg and Windows knows how to launch the file viewer.

If you're gonna bash Windows for some file system issue, at least double check your facts.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stachoni