Popular Science Nov 2003 - Here Comes Robo-Shop

Anyone read the November issue of Pop Science? I was on a flight and didn't bring anything to read so I picked up a copy at the airport.
They wrote an article on the "workshop of the future". I think my favorite thing I am waiting for is the TS that will allow you to enter the width and depth and the saw will automatically set the fence and blade. Won't it be great when we can sit down at the workbench, punch in some numbers on the new TS and then sit back have a cup of coffee, not having to worry about that nasty task of adjusting the tools.
Kinda makes me think of the passionate discusseons we have from time to time on using hand tools versus jointers, planers, etc.
Twenty years from now, us old timers (then not now - LOL) will read with a cynical eye all the "young punks" who brag about their skills of being able to type in measurements correctly and not "fat finger" the numbers.
Pops
Will it still be woodworking if you just stick a cherry log in one end, download your plan, and out comes a buffet from the other end? Of course not, right? But, I wonder what a woodworker from 100 years ago would think about our tools. Probably some envy, but at the same time I bet they'd feel like all we do is set up our tool (jointer, planer, mortiser, ts, etc) run a board through it and glue it together. Except for you Neanders of course.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Pops" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.ham> wrote in message
I am a self-taught newbie and have absolutely no idea how to use a hand plane. None. Zip, Zilch.
I DO, however, have a shiney, new JET 6" jointer my wife got me for my birthday, as well as a 13" DeWalt Planer.
When the power went out a few days ago I really, REALLY wished I knew how to use a hand plane.

favorite
be
the
Pops wrote:

LOL!
Regarding the table saw that sets the fence and blade height automatically, they've been on the market for years. Altendorf is one example. Poke around in http://www.altendorf.de if you're curious. They're saws will set the fence, blade height/angle and motor speed depending on what is input into the controller.
In the future, I suspect saws like these will move from the factory into the home shop.

didn't
and
time
able

Take a look at rec.crafts.metalworking. Home workshop CNC is pretty common these days, and things are (on the whole) the better for it.
The Future is now and here these systems are somewhat available for table saws and have been used for a number of years on Moulding machines to do 4s stock.
They have a digital read out fence for about 2400.00 that can be fitted to many common table saws. That is 2400.oo just for the fence, get your own damn table saw <G>

didn't
and
time
able
My point is that if I wanted a machine to set my fence and saw blade so that all the cuts looked perfect and everything fit perfectly, I would just go buy it from a furniture store.

favorite
be
the
When electrically powered routers first came on the market, I'm sure many people said the same thing (preferring instead to use hand planes, etc.).

that
Pops wrote:

You haven't looked at very much commercial furniture lately, have you Pops? :)
Very easily done know, just more money than Joe hobbiest is likely to spend.

didn't
and
time
able