Linksys in 2003?

I'm looking for a wireless parallel print server and I found one on Amazon and one on Ebay.

These were made in 2003 or 2004 when parallel printers were the norm, and I'm wondering if Linksys had a bad year, or if it only applied to their print servers.

The Amazon one was maybe a Linksys WPS32 at various sellers, several at $20, which seemed cheap enough but, as Paul would suggest, I looked at the Amazon ratings and it was a 3. with a really large number of 1's and 2's. Instructions complicated, incomplete, no good, customer service gives contradictory statements, From customers who generally loved Linksys and bragged about how many other things from them they had and

And Ebay's was a Linksys Wireless G Print Server WPS54GU2. So I figured that one woudl be good It has 3 bids already and 2 hours before it closes. So I looked and it was on Amazon with iirc a 2.5 rating!!! Same kinds of complaints. Like the others, from people with 35 years in computing, network adminstrators etc.

So, Linksys still has a good reputation doesn't it?

Were wireless print servers uncommon enough that if they were bad, most people didn't notice, and even fewer cared?

So the upshot is, I've run out of room in my office/bedroom and want to put a big laser printer in the next room. I've given up on wireless for now and I bought a wired one for 99 cents, plus $6 S&H. It just means a 4rd wire running through the hall, and only a couple feet for this one.

Reply to
micky

Linksys was originally their own small company.

I bought a $300 router from them. It needed to be rebooted twice an evening. Eventually it "bricked", and the two PCBs inside the router, no longer talk to one another.

Linksys was bought by Cisco. Cisco was the Enterprise/Business networking company, and decided to shop for a Consumer networking company. It's not clear, how much design discipline and management oversight, moved from Cisco into Linksys.

*******

Electronics devices, only work as well as the standards defined for them. And the extent to which industry participants check for compatibility. Some standards for example, there are yearly "plug-fests", where manufacturers meet in Vegas, connect the hardwares together, and note whether they work or not.

So, does a "print server" have a spec or standard defining how it works ? Do the printer companies and print server companies meet regularly and plug their stuff together ? I don't know the answer to that, but my suspicion is large quantities of bailing wire and binder twine hold this stuff together. YMMV of course.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Some printers require 2 way comm and some don't. Wireless is often only one way. USB to parallel/serial, etc. is often one way. Better make sure that your printer is a one way printer before getting a wireless print server.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I lost track of why you are doing this. You can buy a new printer for around $100 that scan's prints, duplexes, copies and will do it wired or wireless. Why waste time and money on kludging up some antique printer with an antique and probably slow and buggy wireless router?

Just one of many possible choices in the $100ish range is....

I'm looking for a wireless parallel print server and I found one on

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

What's the bother? You can buy a WiFi printer for ~30.00 and up. There are tons of USB-parallel converter. I have two WiFi printers one is color laser, one is inkjet photo printer both are NFC, airprint capable. I bought the laser one on sale for less than 200.00, photo printer for

49.00 which is 4 in 1 printer.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's pretty good. Thank you. I mean it. Only 100 dollars.

But I only spent 7.

And I intend to keep my current non-wireless laser printer, because I don't want to trash a good printer, or even go to the trouble of finding someone who wants a parallel port printer. . So since I'm keeping it, for 20 for the wireless** or 7 for the wired. I can have it where I want it. That's why I'm doing it. I don't have a lot of money.

I have another pinter, that I paid $100 for, that scans, copies, and faxes. (Although I've had it for 2 or 3 years and only faxed 3 pages.)

**which it turned out might have taken forever to install - though some poeple gave them 4 or 5 stars.
Reply to
micky

I can't spend money like you can.

Reply to
micky

Just remove your toilet, put the printer in it's place in the bathroom, and run a long cable to it!!! :)

Reply to
radarlove

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Parallel to Ethernet adapter + wireless router?

If you can't get that to work, a long parallel cable should be OK to

10-15ft. Remember to get shielded cable if you decide to make your own.
Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

Thanks.

Reply to