well, here comes a Dogwood winter...........

Well here comes a dogwood winter. Or is it a Locust winter? This is the strangest Spring I've noticed here or in Tennessee since I started noticing the seasons closer. It's not very common for redbuds, dogwoods AND honey Locust trees to be blooming at the same time. I will say that the redbuds are winding down, but the white and pink dogwoods are in full throttle. And two days ago I noticed along the interstate in Knoxville, the Honey Locust trees starting to bud out. It blew my mind. So this weekend, we're getting down to 35 or lower. The upper regions of the Smokies are expecting snow.............(makes me glad I don't live up in Gatlinburg or Sevierville or on the other side of the mountain on the way to North Carolina..........). I will say as a Tennessee girl that I HAVE seen snow on the dogwoods, but it's been a coon's age since seeing that happening. And I just planted Delospermum...........and Fire Lights dianthus and two yellow columbines called Swan's yellow.........sigh. Hopefully my little micro-climate will protect them..........I need the rains that is bringing in the cold front very badly.

The heatwave has been so brutal on my spring bulbs, it's like looking at time lapse photography. So I take pictures and enjoy what I see. This year the tree peony beside the NSSG blew my socks off. Anyone wishing to see her picture, holler at me. It's beauty made me cry.

madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

I'd like to take a look. Thanks much. :-)

Reply to
Jim Carlock

And I wanna see a picture of the blown off socks!

-paggers

Reply to
paghat

Reply to
madgardener

My tree peony (3' by 3') opened all its flowers at once. It is covered with about 30 8" wide white flowers. I have 3 newer ones, only one of which was big enough to bloom (at 1' by 1') and it has all three of its flowers open - pink fully double blossoms, opening to about 6".

Such huge flowers on such small trees. The only thing with all opening at once is the short display. Instead of 3 -4 weeks of blooms, I'll get only one :(

Fran western NC, zone 7a

Reply to
fran