Plywood Zero Clearance Inserts

Interested in anyone's experience making and using zero clearance inserts out of plywood for the tablesaw. I've always used solid wood and/or UHMW. Did it work for you?
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo - Band Saw Handbook ------------------------------------------------------------
Although I have not used plywood, I have successfully made them from 1/2" melamine. I made them for various dada widths. I suppose plywood would work as well.
--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
Hey I have made Many out of small ply 1/8th" but I use / glue 1/2 strips to the underside to give them stability?? Easy to make FAST cheap and basically throwaway. Just make it install it and run your saw blade up through to where you want it!

Should work. I use 1/2" MDF. Ed
SawEyes wrote:

[snip]
I use 1/2" ply. I have used solid wood but the piece between the slot for the splitter and the edge tends to break too easily.     mahalo,     jo4hn
which explains your need to use the words you just uttered in the "Charlie..." thread. I have a solid wood insert (poplar) that has plenty of strength by the splitter slot and edge. what TS are you having trouble with solid wood inserts? Mine is a Unisaw. I've never noticed the configuration of other inserts.
dave
jo4hn wrote:

I meant "I've never noticed the configuration of the inserts on other models of table saws.
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote: I've never

Bay Area Dave wrote:

PM66

A'yup! Mine are out of 1/2" Baltic Birch.
Following an idea from one of the WW magazines, I made a batch of ZCIs using a sandwich of two layers of 1/4" tempered masonite faced with Formica on top and bottom. These look remarkably similar to the commercial ones made of phenolic and Formica. By inserting 4 screws around the edges, one can easily adjust the height relative to the TS table top. Not sure that appearance counts with ZCIs, but they do look very nice. Partial sheets of masonite are available at HD and counter top installers often sell odd pieces of Formica, so these are cheap to make.

I've made several from 1/2" baltic birch plywoodthat work just fine.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:20:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

I make 'em from 1/2" baltic. no problems so far....     bridger
snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote in (Lawrence

As have I. With 9 coats of hand rubbed, dewaxed super blond shellac, made from flakes distributed through Fort Bragg, CA. ;-)
Didn't we have an exhaustive thread on making ZCI with splitters in the last few months? With detailed instructions?
Patriarch

I've used MDF. Works fine.
-Bob
--
Bob Waltenspiel
snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net

i make mine outta 1/2" lexan. [ only cause i found a boatload of it in a dumpster near a plastics shop!] works good and looks cool too! lol.....
skeez
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like that pile of scrap ply in the corner of my shop might get used after all :)