plywood's getting thinner....

they're

The borgs don't carry the volume that a lumberyard carries, that's one reason the price is high. They carry it more as a conveniences to the occasional customer who needs something in a pinch.

On the rare occasion I buy plywood, I go to HD because they already have 2x4 sheets, which fit into my Saturn.

Reply to
larrybud2002

Well, I guess my comment on how poorly people focus on actual content would have to apply to reading Usenet, too.

Nominal - in name only. OK?

CAUTION - plywood from different sources may not be the same thickness though nominally the same. Can ruin your whole day if you dadoed for one and fit the other.

As to the rest, ask how many people realize that the former 16 oz can is now

15 1/2, the Juicy Juice is four fluid ounces less than the Welch's next to it, or the pound of coffee actually 12 oz. It'll teach you the value of packaging.
Reply to
George

I'm not sure about actual standards and a quick search didn't find a freely acessible vendor site, but it's clear that some (relatively few) years ago the nominal thicknesses of US manufacturers' plywoods went to a -64th or -32nd from nominal. Whether that was specifically to meet common metric dimensions for export or simply from a material savings standpoint I'm not aware, but I'm sure it was done by (and for) the manufacturers, the (US) consumers. It was much less a pita about joining or matching thicknesses prior.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Shoot, there's no where even half the size of town within 60 miles of me, and none of them have a single hardwood dealer. Closest I can get to is roughly 200 miles and they have to order in most anything the least bit out of the ordinary...

I did order some clear pine through the local lumber yard and it cost more in shipping than the material... :( (They forgot to mention they don't order from that mill routinely so it came all by itself...)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Same here, but I work 4 ten-hour shifts, so Friday is my wood buying day! Usually does take half the day, after picking through the wood and shooting the shit for a while. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Aha- I can sympathize with that one! We had a two-door something or other before I got my van, and it was a real chore to get anything moved around. I guess as far as volume is concerned, it's been my experience that the two within driving distance (Menard's and Home Depot- HD is a loooong haul, though) consider themselves one-stop shops for any amount of lumber. I think they're just overcharging for crappy wood, but that's their perrogative. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Whew... wait a minute- you live that far out of the way, and there isn't a sawmill around somewhere? Where do ya live, a desert? Anyhow, that sucks- but it could be an opportunity for you, if you've got enough money to buy large amounts and resell it to other local woodworkers.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

thickness

I read your message, but you're equating two different things, and you're doing it again with your coffee example.

The coffee can does NOT say "a pound of coffee", yet the contents only contain 12 oz. However, when a board says it's 1/4", it is a blatant mispresentation of the size.

Reply to
larrybud2002

But that formerly 16 oz can had better say that it's really 15 1/2 oz or the can of coffee containing 12 oz better say that and not 16 --- the various federal trade overseers get pretty bent out of shape if this is not the case. To label something as 15/32 and then really provide it as 7/16 instead should result in similar issues.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

It does, but only if you read it.

As does the nominally-sized plywood - if you read it.

Hint - it's the small print.

For the obtuse Larry - people don't study such things. That's why you can shorten the can in increments and folks think they're getting a good price. Look at the annual number of threads complaining about 4/4 wood being 3/4" or a 2x6 being 1 1/2 by 5 1/2 if you doubt this. And those are the things every woodworker could and should find out about in the first book they read.

I don't think they can get the cereal box faces any larger without getting so thin a flake would get stuck crosswise....

Reply to
George

:) Not quite...it's arid, but not desert. Actually, it's part of the wheat belt and known for having (or ever having) trees...short grass prairie, originally.

If there any other woodworkers in sufficient numbers... :) There's a reason there aren't suppliers--there aren't sufficient consumers to make it pay.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well, obviously. You can't force people to become informed, but with wood, it's MISinformation.

Doesn't say any such thing. The ply at HD says 3/4", but it's really .70" or less.

You do, as I would surmise most people on this board.

They can think what they want, but it's not misleading at all since the actual contents are listed on the package.

Reply to
larrybud2002

Sounds like you should plant a few trees and cash in a few years down the road. Or, is there some reason why trees don't grow well out there? I know about pollination and stuff, but that can be handled I believe.

Reply to
Upscale

Well, my grandkids would be the ones doing the cashing in, if there were to be any, not me... :)

It's simply the geography and weather of the High Plains...

It's semi-arid, windy and the soil is suited to the native grasses, not trees (very sandy).

A primary reason there were essentially no trees natively was that the prairies burned, on the average, at roughly 5-10 year intervals. When it's dry, open, the wind is blowing a dry thunderstorm can burn a whole lot of country in a hurry. The grass regenerates quickly, but woody plants don't.

There are now far more trees than ever from plantings and even the occasional "wild" sprouting since the grasslands are now protected from fire (and what ones that do get started are normally put out) even though there was one east of us earlier this winter that burned about

8000 acres because it was in areas not easily accessible.

For commercial hardwood production it would simply not be practical--the amount of irrigation and fertilization required to get a reasonable growth rate would be excessively expensive and the wind would be nearly impossible to prevent from making poor quality lumber for woodworking purposes. All trees lean to the north from the prevalent south wind and we think if it's under 20 mph it's "calm"--anything up to about 30-35 mph or so is just "breezy", and at 40+ mph we'll allow its a "tad" windy today... :) 50-60 mph is not that uncommon ahead of fronts w/ as the low approaches. This can easily last for a couple of days before the shift behind the front and the subsequent high pressure builds in.

I will note, however, that KS, particularly the SE corner, is fairly heavily wooded and is still a major producer of walnut although nothing to the scale of the top two or three states for the simple reason it's a fairly small area in KS...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth