Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Oh....OK!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Nope....Rochester NY. Thanks, though.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You obviously never met my great great grandmother...(101 and still cussin' like a sailor).

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

What, some lucky guy beat ya to her?

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

I've got a dollar. Would that suffice?

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

No, but whenever the next guy comes along, he'll gain a clear understanding of the line from the song "Born Under a Bad Sign": If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hey...I'm happy. I lost my garden, but I still have my tools, my boat and my fishing tackle. And, another woman who knows what's what. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The cost surprised me a little bit as well, but it ended up being worthwhile. The shelving unit is sturdy (once bolted to the wall) and not really that ugly...

My bill of materials ended up being:

16 joist hangers @ $0.30ea = $ 4.80 12 2x4x8' @ $2 ea = $24. 2 3/8" sheets of plywood @ $8ea = $16. misc. screws ------ $47.80 3.35 tax ------ ~$51.15 + 1 evening's labor.

I'd use 1/2 plywood if I build another set. I had to add a few supports to keep the 3/8 from sagging once it was loaded up with boxes.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I wrote 'bolted', I should have said 'attached.' I was in the same situation, helping my father build some shelves for his storage locker. He had the plywood sliced in half lengthwise at the BORG (then only a cordless drill was required to put the thing together) and we used some strapping to attach the shelving unit to a support beam. An alternative would be a diagonal brace across the back if it is to be freestanding - to keep it from becoming a parallelogram...

Reply to
Jeff

No problem - sorry I couldn't help.

Reply to