Plans needed: Ugly garage shelves

Page 2 of 2
Big Orange Retail Giant. Home Depot. Swallows up all others

Doug,
Try the following link that was posted here regarding workbenches and shelving.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/DIYOnline.html&rn=none
You can size them to your specific needs and then print out the drawing and materials list. Hope this helps.
Peter.

Oh....OK!
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:58:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Modify any of the 1000 hits below as needed.
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=garage+shelf&btnG=Google+Search
Barry
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:58:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Doug, You're not close to Houston are you? I bought a heavy duty store display that is 6' X 6' X 2' that might work. It has 4 drawers and several shelves. I bought it for the stuff mounted on it and have no use for the display and could make you a real deal (like name your own price). I have pics if you're interested (or anybody in the Houston area).
Send me the pics if you don't mind Tom.
Jums (in Houston)

Nope....Rochester NY. Thanks, though.

I've got a dollar. Would that suffice?
The cost surprised me a little bit as well, but it ended up being worthwhile. The shelving unit is sturdy (once bolted to the wall) and not really that ugly...
My bill of materials ended up being:
16 joist hangers @ $0.30ea = $ 4.80 12 2x4x8' @ $2 ea = $24. 2 3/8" sheets of plywood @ $8ea = $16. misc. screws ------ $47.80 3.35 tax ------ ~$51.15 + 1 evening's labor.
I'd use 1/2 plywood if I build another set. I had to add a few supports to keep the 3/8 from sagging once it was loaded up with boxes.
-Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com (MJ Wallace) wrote in message

I wrote 'bolted', I should have said 'attached.' I was in the same situation, helping my father build some shelves for his storage locker. He had the plywood sliced in half lengthwise at the BORG (then only a cordless drill was required to put the thing together) and we used some strapping to attach the shelving unit to a support beam. An alternative would be a diagonal brace across the back if it is to be freestanding - to keep it from becoming a parallelogram...