planing in Toronto

Disclaimer: I'm completely new to woodworking.

I live in Toronto and have a couple pieces of rough 8/4 12" x 5' hard maple that I need planed. Where's the best place to get this done? The lumber yard where I bought it doesn't do planing, are there places that will do this or do I need to purchase a planer? Where do I look?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Grant

"David Grant" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Look for a cabinet or millwork shop in the directory. Or a woodworking club.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
JGS

If you are North of Toronto -- Newmarket? I could help. In Toronto -- not worth your trouble.

Decent Planers $269 -- $350 these days -- King, Canuck Tire. Not worth it unless you have future needs.

But sounds like you need to use a jointer as well -- To flatten one side first.

Reply to
WillR

Do you have a business there or a hobbyist? I am in Aurora just below you. Keep my e-mail address/phone number handy if ever I can be of any help or for a gab. It's nice to know there's someone nearby.

Gerry < 905.726.5885 >

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

of both.

See what you think.

Reply to
WillR

I also have one of the el cheapo King routers. They're a knock-off of the Makita. I picked up mine at the Surry Woodworking Show last year for $99. :-)

Like you, I found the plunge springs much too stiff to use it as a free hand plunge router. So I built a router table into a workbench, removed the plunge springs and it's now permanently mounted in the router table. Removing the plunge springs made it much more usable as a table router.

Reply to
Rob Fargher