Plan ahead

I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in length. Then l et's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.
It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on one pass. I coul d have tried to run it through the BS, but that would have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it.
So I put the whole piece on the lathe and now I have a nice large candlesti ck for my daughter.
Pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/11041344086/
Plan ahead!!
Larry
"Gramps' shop" wrote:
I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in length. Then let's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.
It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on one pass. I could have tried to run it through the BS, but that would have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it. ---------------------------------------------------------- So what happened to 2-5/8" cuts on top and bottom faces, then clean up the cut surfaces with a planer?
Two cuts is a given with the above.
Lew
On 11/24/2013 8:42 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

You could'a used a parting tool and cut the chunk in to squares.

Why was the 1/4" blade an issue? If it's a reasonable tooth configuration (low TPI), couldn't the lack of depth be compensated for by both tension and feed rate?
If it's like most bandsaws (no riser block), a 93 1/2" blade should be available locally at someplace open on Sunday. You'll probably pay more than ordering online, but there's no shipping cost and no waiting.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 11/25/2013 12:12 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I suspect that after he cuts the 5" piece into shorter pieces he is going to want to mate those fresh cut surfaces to another flat surface of the same wood to mix up the orientation of the wood.
For that he would need parallel cuts and flat cuts.
A marginal BS is probably not going to give you flat, across 5" thick wood, cuts and or parallel cuts. A wider blade on a marginal BS would give better results.
On 11/25/2013 9:56 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes, but a TS could cut through it in 2 cuts, and then be cleaned up with either a handplane or sandpaper attached to a glass plate.
--
Jeff

On 11/24/2013 6:42 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Or a recip saw with a long blade and some jointer/planer work.
On 11/25/2013 9:54 AM, jo4hn wrote:

Definetly not stable enough. A large old time saw would or a back saw.. just cut a line with a knife and follow it.
--
Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. Leon is correct ... I needed each "slice" to be p erfectly flat to facilitate the subsequent glue-up. I thought about two ru ns through the TS, but even with a stop block I wasn't confident of a perfe ct cut. I have always been under the impression that running a piece under 12 inches in length thru the planer is asking for trouble and I an not rea l comfortable running a 5 inch piece over the jointer.
On the other side of the coin, my wife says my daughter will be thrilled wi th the candlestick.
Larry
On 11/26/2013 8:08 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

The result was great anyway.