pissed at HD

Page 5 of 6
RemodGuy wrote:

Are you also opposed to bar codes and scanners? They reduced a lot of labor too.
-- Mark

labor
Just wait until RFID's start showing up in more and more retail applications.
are you trying to teach them a lesson??
I use the self checkout all the time because it's FAST.
dave
RemodGuy wrote:

of course not, dave. they don't know and certainly don't care. but sometimes in life you have to do things solely on principal. i have to look at myself in the mirror every morning to shave. this is something i feel strongly about (and yes i know it is something infinitely small compared to the big picture).

gee, I can use the self check out line and STILL glance at my mug once in a while... :)
dave
RemodGuy wrote:

at Kmart the lady in front of me put a $5 bill in to pay for her purchase at one of the self serve registers. It gave her back change for a $50, she asked to see the manager. When he came by she explained that the machine had given her the wrong change, holding up the money in her hand. He flatly told her that that machine didn't make mistakes. She smiled broadly and said, " Thank you very much!" and left. It didn't like my $5 as much, needless to say.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"RemodGuy" < snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net> wrote in message
Around here, most places seem to be having a hard time finding enough folks to hire to be cashiers. What the reason for that, I don't know, but those self serve things alleviate the problem and I find them quite handy. Even ran a bunch of those trademen clamps thru (scanning the clamps wasn't the problem; loading them into ONE bag was and the system got unhappy when I moved them off the scale thingie).
Renata
On 6 Feb 2004 14:31:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net (RemodGuy) wrote:

I refuse to use them so far. Note: I said "so far" because I don't know that will happen in the future. I despise having to check myself out. Our local K Mart just took them out, but the Wal Mart put them in.
Not enough good help available, especially at low wages. People with high skills and talent are working in medical offices at 50% more in wages. Ed
<snip> > All the HD's around here have 4 or more self-serve checkouts. Fast

Yours must work better than mine...ROYAL PITA, always screaming at me for "last item not properly placed..." (when that little computer voice comes up I'm always thinking of "placing" it somewhere)...and forget lumber on those things since you have to "bother" the "Wizard of self-checkout" and that is not a pleasant experience since he/she thinks his/her job is to yak with his/her pals with the expectation that everybody is buying small things that scan and can be put in the bagging area.without his/her intervention. And whatever you do, do not buy loose bolts, lag screws or the like that require the "wizard" to consult the "book". You could mine the iron ore, smelt it and mix in the other ingredients for steel, then thread the stuff and cut/shape, get a haircut, shoe-shine, oil change and face-lift faster than they can figure out the price for a few 30 cent pieces.
writes:

then
has
( a

Now, why would you try to run lumber thru one of those things? They don't have a hand held scanner, so you gotta kinda figure that cashier assistance would be required for something like lumber, and go thru a regular check out. Aything I can't lift (weight or size) to scan, I go thru a regular check out and let the cashier handle it w/the hand scanner.
Renata
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 02:28:29 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

One of the ways HD gives you a cheap price is by giving you cheap service. Would you pay 50-100% more for the same tool at a traditional hardware store for the better service? I suspect not.

Charles, Your comment cuts out all the noise and goes to the heart of the matter! Great post!
Jack
-- "You generally get what you expect." "I don't expect much, so I'm seldom disappointed."

getting good

10% off.

loaded with

eye shot,

were grumbling

a short

and angrily

and it'll be a

blah. I'm

opening the

keep it and

lesson in my

problem is, charles, their prices are nowhere near low enough to make up for the complete lack of service and ever increasing lack of selection. it is no secret that the everage HD employee, bearing an apron reading "i help in all departments", doesn't even know WHERE most of those departments are in the store. not to mention the fact that even if they know "where" they sure as hell dont know "what" or "how to". I get by in those hell holes because (unfortunately) i have been in them enough to know my way around. i sepnd more time in there helping lost customers than the employees do. I have on several occasions overheard HD employees giving completely incorrect directions to "joe homeowner" as if he were an expert in the field. and "yes" i wait until that person walks away and i set them straight.
back to the pricing... sure they are lower. if you dont care what brand you buy. i am a serious woodworker, you sure as hell wont find a $10 skil sander in my shop. HD owns most of the names on the merchandise in their stores. everything from tools to light fixtures. the HD that first opened up in my area almost 10 years ago carried MIlwaukee, PC, Bosch, Makita. Now all you see is that Ridgid crap, skil, ryobi. poorly made and overpriced for what it is.
So the answer is "HELL YES I PAY MORE DOWN THE STREET" because I get a BETTER PRODUCT, BETTER SERVICE, AND BETTER PRICES BY COMPARISON".
PS. sorry charles, not a personal attack. I just hate the hopless depot.
n message

I spent *45* minutes in line at a local market on Superbowl Sunday Morning. It was crazy. Every register was open (I saw 24 of them) and each one had at least 5 people in line buying a LOT of stuff.
What peeves me are the people who insist that the cashier or bagger bag their groceries when there obviously aren't enough people around to keep up. I guess they figure they're above bagging groceries themselves, even though it would help them and everyone else in the entire store out.
My Two Cents HOME DEPOT SUCKS.....Employyes are rude and most dont have a clue If you cant find what you want they certainly wont. They only stand behind thier products if you have a reciept (mabey) They close lanes and bring in the fork lift while your shopping in it and tell you to leave. Shop at the little guys they appriciate you more and your dollrs mean more to them than any home depot store manager. I say Use the sander blow it off and bring it back.

good
Well, I've been reading this thread and getting quite a laugh, until now. I got to chime in about this one. Never ever have I been asked to leave an aisle so they could use a lift truck. I have had the guys help me load stuff, maybe to get me out of the aisle faster, but never, never asked to leave so they could pull a lift in and use it. All the employees and managers are very helpful at the 3 I frequent. They went out of their way to get me some drawer bails that the mfg. quit supplying when I built LOML's bedroom suite. As far as a receipt, my Ridgid shop vac of 4 years crapped out just 2 weeks ago. Hell, I'm lucky to have receipts from 4 weeks ago, much less 4 years. I took it back, the lady at the returns called back to the hardware guy, he came up, looked at it, asked me what happened, I told him it took a dump. He said wait just a sec. He came back with a brand new 16 gallon vac, hoses and all. And I didn't even take the old hose and fittings. He said have fun with it, if anything ever happens to any of the other tools I've bought there, bring 'em back. Maybe <notice the correct way to spell it> I'm one of the few, but I'm proud of the service I got! No disrespect to any of the Marines out there. <G> Again, just my nickels worth.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
You must be shopping at stores that just opened or you live somewhere other than the Northeast USA. Service around here is worse than terrible except for the electrical and plumbing departments where they seem to have some trade retirees that know what they are doing. Other than that, it is pretty much a true DIY experience. And I'll "ditto" the comment about getting closed out for the forklift thing...pretty common here...bad enough to be blocked access but worse to be in the aisle and have to wait it out.

getting
Good Lord I cant believe the number of posts this has received. Is this crazy or what?
Jim

Well, I'm talking about the 3 stores in the Louisville, Ky. area, and nope, the newest one has been open for a little over 5 years. I have stopped in stores from Indianapolis to Nashville, to Knoxville and had basically the same service. My job don't get me any farther northeast than Columbus, Ohio, thank goodness. Especially in the winter months. It's bad enough driving in the south in the winter! As I said, it's my opinion, and my experiences with them. That's why we're on the wRECk, and in America. Every one is free to voice their own opinion.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

nope,
Ohio,
in
with
I'm in Jeffersonville. I know about, and am occasionally in, the stores in Clarksville, New Albany and on Hurstborn. Those the three or are there others in Louisville I've missed. Hmm, seems I have passed one on Dixie Highway between here and Knox.
Well, I have been run out of an isle in Clarksville so they could use the lift but they did offer help before hand and I'ld told them I was just killing time.