PING: Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)

Tom -- I nearly always chuckle when I read a post you've written. I try to write well but when I later read what I've posted my reaction is nearly always, "That guy's writing sux." Did you follow some kind of program or system to learn to write well (the idea being that I can "borrow" from it) or is it a natural gift -- from 2nd grade on teachers always pasted green stars on your papers?

BTW, I think you may enjoy the writing here.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Mark:

There's a mess o' folks who are funny on dis here Wreck.

Charlie Self has the driest and most economical wit and he always makes me laugh. Sometime you don't even know it's funny for a day or two.

Keeter's stuff is more involved but still comes from a personality that is full of the ability to see the absurd in life and in the Wreck, mixed with an analytical intelligence that make the funny ring true.

I miss old Walt the most, he was the guy who could really get me belly-laughing - but I think he only writes for money these days.

O'Deen has a fierce intelligence that he moderates with tremendous wit and any thing that you can read of his is informed by both.

Watch out for that Jeffrey Thunder - he of the all too occasional posting - he's a funny MF.

BAD can be funny both intentionally and not.

C-less has some funny things to say but he picks on me too much, so I'm leaving him out.

I don't know where dat PineyWood sumbitch got to but Jummy is a bright spot in the humor column.

Phil Laird has taken to hanging on the binaries but he used to be a reliable laugh - it was the patois - mostly.

I don't know what happened to Pat Leach.

Any Bennett that you can grab is funny, but mostly if you can get them arguing with each other.

Nahmie chimes in with a barb now and then - that can be priceless.

When Baglio isn't taking life too seriously, he's a funny man, and he says some smart stuff, too.

Mike Hide isn't that funny but he is prolly the best wooddorker on the Wreck. The man is a genius with his hands. He's just not funny because he's British. (maybe he's only English - I think you have to be rich to be British).

Rick Chamberlain is funny. He doesn't post nearly enough.

Bob Schmall is flat out funny but he can't play golf worth a damn.

Pagona has always been and always will be funny.

Tommy Plamann is not funny but he doesn't need to be.

charlieb is a sly dog and gets his licks in.

CW is funnier than he realizes.

T, Theo, JOAT is and always will be funny - when he damned well pleases.

Well, I'm running out of gas. You know how these list things are. Somebody is going to be mortally pissed because they did not make the list that I just farted out of my head in two minutes.

Ah, well - that would make them not very funny. . .

But I'm open to equivocation.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

I enjoy ths posts of those you've mentioned who I've seen in my relatively short time luring and posting. "Sylvain" also puts thoughts to prose well in my estimation. A truck driver who writes!

Re: my link, I've been chuckling through these since posting.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Mark Jerde notes:

Silvan screwed up and got a degree in languages--Spanish and Latin? Hell, I had enough trouble getting a degree in English and the only reason I got by in my Italian courses was because I knew how to cuss from having been raised in an Italian neighborhood.

Ol' TJ got his degree in bullshit...er, philosophy.

It's a weird group, which is wonderful.

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

Yeah, I've been helped by my understanding of street Eyetalian in recognizing that my wife is trying to feed me Chicken-Fangul. The bullshit (Philosophy) helps me to understand why that is happening.

I agree.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with . . . philosophy?"

Absolutely.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with . . . philosophy?"

Absolutely.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

(snip)

You been talking to Chamberlain again? Rick, did you also tell him I can whip your ass on the pool table?

Grumble....

Reply to
Bob Schmall

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:57:15 -0600, "Bob Schmall" brought forth from the murky depths:

What you two do in your own personal space and time is absolutely no business of ours, Bawb...but what, erm, instrument do you use? (Cat 'o 9 tails? Bare mano a bare buttocks? Sister Strongarm's Perforated Paddle?)

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sister Strongarm's? Never heard of it, Larry--tell us more. I prefer a 20 oz. cue, operated in the usual manner. Now there's an image I didn't need....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Tom Gauldin and the dust collector Flo-Bee cut he gave his wife.

Excuse me, I have to pick myself up from the floor every time I think of that post.

I noticed John Hofstad-Parkhill is here about. Saw his sig a ways up from this one.

Richy Haubert is another one that dropped off and stayed dropped off.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

And lets not forget Lee. Must have found something good at the leebrary.

-Doug

Reply to
bole2cant

One of the funniest things I've ever read. Left me gasping.

He had another one, didn't he, about a riding mower or some such that got away?

Doug Miller

When you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with . . . philosphy?

Absolutely

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Nahmie posits:

Sounds exactly like my sister-in-law. She sat at the end of our dining room table one day 16 or so years ago and told me how ALL writers worked. Nearly deafened me. Might have if an M1 hadn't done half the job already.

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

I couldn't find the original post from Tom, but for those interested, here's a link to a repost done in 1996.

(watch out for word wrap).

Nova

Jack reprints:

Oh, oh, oh, oh! It hurts to laugh that hard at my age!

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

He likes me! He really, really likes me!

Sniff...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Me too, but at least I remembered to put down the beer before clicking the link.

Whew!

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

> (watch out for word wrap).

Or email me and I'll shoot you a copy. Long since saved in my documents, emailed as well as printed and shared with numerous friends. Never fails to bring a belly-laff!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow