PING: Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)

Page 1 of 2
Tom -- I nearly always chuckle when I read a post you've written. I try to write well but when I later read what I've posted my reaction is nearly always, "That guy's writing sux." Did you follow some kind of program or system to learn to write well (the idea being that I can "borrow" from it) or is it a natural gift -- from 2nd grade on teachers always pasted green stars on your papers?
BTW, I think you may enjoy the writing here. http://sweetchillisauce.com /
-- Mark
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:13:23 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Mark:
There's a mess o' folks who are funny on dis here Wreck.
Charlie Self has the driest and most economical wit and he always makes me laugh. Sometime you don't even know it's funny for a day or two.
Keeter's stuff is more involved but still comes from a personality that is full of the ability to see the absurd in life and in the Wreck, mixed with an analytical intelligence that make the funny ring true.
I miss old Walt the most, he was the guy who could really get me belly-laughing - but I think he only writes for money these days.
O'Deen has a fierce intelligence that he moderates with tremendous wit and any thing that you can read of his is informed by both.
Watch out for that Jeffrey Thunder - he of the all too occasional posting - he's a funny MF.
BAD can be funny both intentionally and not.
C-less has some funny things to say but he picks on me too much, so I'm leaving him out.
I don't know where dat PineyWood sumbitch got to but Jummy is a bright spot in the humor column.
Phil Laird has taken to hanging on the binaries but he used to be a reliable laugh - it was the patois - mostly.
I don't know what happened to Pat Leach.
Any Bennett that you can grab is funny, but mostly if you can get them arguing with each other.
Nahmie chimes in with a barb now and then - that can be priceless.
When Baglio isn't taking life too seriously, he's a funny man, and he says some smart stuff, too.
Mike Hide isn't that funny but he is prolly the best wooddorker on the Wreck. The man is a genius with his hands. He's just not funny because he's British. (maybe he's only English - I think you have to be rich to be British).
Rick Chamberlain is funny. He doesn't post nearly enough.
Bob Schmall is flat out funny but he can't play golf worth a damn.
Pagona has always been and always will be funny.
Tommy Plamann is not funny but he doesn't need to be.
charlieb is a sly dog and gets his licks in.
CW is funnier than he realizes.
T, Theo, JOAT is and always will be funny - when he damned well pleases.
Well, I'm running out of gas. You know how these list things are. Somebody is going to be mortally pissed because they did not make the list that I just farted out of my head in two minutes.
Ah, well - that would make them not very funny. . .
But I'm open to equivocation.
Tom Watson wrote:

I enjoy ths posts of those you've mentioned who I've seen in my relatively short time luring and posting. "Sylvain" also puts thoughts to prose well in my estimation. A truck driver who writes!
Re: my link, I've been chuckling through these since posting.
http://sweetchillisauce.com/letterscomp.html
-- Mark
Mark Jerde notes:

Silvan screwed up and got a degree in languages--Spanish and Latin? Hell, I had enough trouble getting a degree in English and the only reason I got by in my Italian courses was because I knew how to cuss from having been raised in an Italian neighborhood.
Ol' TJ got his degree in bullshit...er, philosophy.
It's a weird group, which is wonderful.
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
On 29 Jan 2004 02:44:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Yeah, I've been helped by my understanding of street Eyetalian in recognizing that my wife is trying to feed me Chicken-Fangul. The bullshit (Philosophy) helps me to understand why that is happening.

I agree.

relatively
well
I had

my
an
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with . . . philosophy?"

Absolutely.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

relatively
well
I had

my
an
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with . . . philosophy?"

Absolutely.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

I had

my
an
When you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with . . . philosphy?

Absolutely
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.
Nahmie posits:

Sounds exactly like my sister-in-law. She sat at the end of our dining room table one day 16 or so years ago and told me how ALL writers worked. Nearly deafened me. Might have if an M1 hadn't done half the job already.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
(for the third time)
Hey, Nahmie's stuck again... Somebody give him a push.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Dave Balderstone" ...

He's getting worse as he gets older you know. I wonder how many breakfasts he has?

Sorry 'bout that fellers. Don't know what happened there. I sent it once, got some kind of message from Indiana University.edu(?) that there were duplicate messages, but I never saw the message at all when I read the wreck, so sent it again.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

breakfasts
Ah, the mysteries of technology! It's 9:53AM on 1/30/04, and I just now received the first two posts of my *triple* that were posted @ 6:41AM on 1/29/04! Where were they hiding that the rest of you saw them & I didn't?
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

it)
(snip)
You been talking to Chamberlain again? Rick, did you also tell him I can whip your ass on the pool table?
Grumble....
brought forth from the murky depths:

What you two do in your own personal space and time is absolutely no business of ours, Bawb...but what, erm, instrument do you use? (Cat 'o 9 tails? Bare mano a bare buttocks? Sister Strongarm's Perforated Paddle?)
---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e) http://www.diversify.com Web Database Development ======================================================

Sister Strongarm's? Never heard of it, Larry--tell us more. I prefer a 20 oz. cue, operated in the usual manner. Now there's an image I didn't need....
Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:

I've only heard of her. Way back in the 2nd grade, at Trinity Cathedral School in Little Rock, AR, I had a lovely teacher, whom I adored. I heard of the other kids who didn't get along with their teachers there who were sent to the ominously named lady. Those who returned stood up for the rest of the day for some reason, or so I heard. According to legend, she once hit a kid so hard his li'l puckerer ended up on his frontside, next to his belly button.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Right you are, Bawb.
(Confession: Sister Strongarm never existed, but my teacher, Miss Hankins, was the best teacher I ever had. She was kind and fair, making me want to _like_ school again...until I returned to the LRAFB school the next year. <sigh>)
---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e) http://www.diversify.com Web Database Development ======================================================
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:52:53 GMT, Larry Jaques

Sister Strongarm, or those of her ilk, most certainly did exist. Our particular (Fifth Grade) iteration was referred to as Sister Mary Benzedrine.
She had superhuman strength and the indefatigable energy of the truly possesed.
I never saw her head do a 360 but she prolly did that in private.
Rolling Jeffrey Thunder wrote:

Tom Gauldin and the dust collector Flo-Bee cut he gave his wife.
Excuse me, I have to pick myself up from the floor every time I think of that post.

I noticed John Hofstad-Parkhill is here about. Saw his sig a ways up from this one.
Richy Haubert is another one that dropped off and stayed dropped off.
UA100
And lets not forget Lee. Must have found something good at the leebrary.
-Doug