Ping Leon - OT Re: Sewing Supplies

And to anyone else, whose family member does some sewing.
Two of my upholstery softgoods suppliers have discontinued carrying their C hina-made soft goods and some related items, because of hazardous ingredien ts within the goods.
Also, I need a part for a machine and see this posting on the MasterSewUSA website: http://www.mastersewusa.com/accessories.html "We have pulled from our offerings all our China manufactured sewing access ories. Thread, scissors, buttons all are potentially hazardous in light of recent tests on 'Made In China' products that are colored, plastic painted. We hope to find replacements soon. I hope you understand."
I don't know if this applies to domestic sewing and supplies, etc., I have n't been to any local fabric shops, here, recently. Don't know why it sho uldn't be applicable to domestic sewings, as well.
Thought maybe your wife might like to be mindful of this, with her sewing i nterests as they are.
Sonny
On 7/21/2015 10:29 AM, Sonny wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll bring this to her attention.

I would guess the issue is the use of lead or chromium in the paint. I doubt the same issue would exist with Made in USA or Made in Japan or Made in (any part of Europe) as the standards for heavy metals in paint are much stricter.
John