Ping Leon

Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I think I will try it. Thanks

Reply to
Gresston1

Leon

Thank you. I can only afford one right now, would the round or curved square be most useful?

Reply to
G Ross

FYI, my Kaspersky refuse to allow me to this site,

The requested URL cannot be provided

Object URL:

Reason:

The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

Reply to
Idlehands

Interesting... I didn't have a problem, Idlehands. In fact, I saved the site for future reference, if I ever have the time to get my Lathe going. (Thanks Leon!)

I use Vipre for Internet protection. It's pretty sound, according to my IT guys.

Try opening a new browser and simply typing the site instead of connecting via link, maybe (?)

I don't pretend to be a computer guy, though!!

Reply to
Steve

G Ross wrote in news:oeauej$iag$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What do you like to turn most? The curved square might be good if you like doing things with squareish edges, like straight sided bowls or maybe lids. The round might be good if you do more spindle turning.

I found these guys, but haven't used their products at all:

Might be a good alternative to Easy Wood Tools.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I am not a turning guru. But these tools get the job done. IMHO the round will allow more curves in your turnings. Curved straight for spindle type turnings.

Reply to
Leon

I would say "you" have a problem with your virus protection program.

Reply to
Leon

I received a similar error too.

Reply to
none

Kaspersky says the link is "safe according to the reputation data of Kaspersky VirusDesk"

VirusTotal also says the link is clean:

Spalted Walt

Here's the Lee Valley USA web page - for another reference and you could perhaps save on shipping costs and/ or you could save money if you have the "on sale" LV gift cards from Cyber Monday ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC. When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT security team doesn't like.

I can access Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.with no problem, so there is *something* going on with the easywoodtools site that raises a concern within our system and apparently with some AV programs/settings. It could be as simple as http vs. https.

easywoodtools apparently does not use https.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Does your "corporate PC" block Youtube and/or Facebook? netstat shows connections to both with

Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley doesn't auto-connect w/Youtube or Facebook

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Netstat is blocked. ;-)

Youtube is not blocked, but Facebook is, sort of. Facebook returns a totally different message.

Chrome: This site can't be reached, might be down or moved, etc. IE: This page can't be displayed, make sure the web address is correct, etc.

IOW We get a "browser based" message as opposed to being re-directed to the corporate "website is blocked by firm" message page. I don't know why they handle Facebook (and Twitter) via the browsers.

Perhaps it's the "auto-connect", something that I am not familiar with since I don't use Facebook. They all have links to Facebook on their pages. How is that different than the "auto-connect" you speak of?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My first Easy Wood turning tool was one with the round tip (I turn mostly pens and small objects like that). Still use it most of the time, though I have since acquired a square-ended tip also. That one seems to help when working on straight lines. Personally, I'd suggest the round tip to start with.

HTH. Matt

Reply to
Matt

netstat isn't a URL, it's a command line tool

Windows: Run > cmd C:\>netstat -a

Actually, when visiting:

Two seperate Facebook domains are opened (via https): facebook.com and fbcdn.net What kind of denial msg do you get with:

Trust me, unless you're using a browser plugin such as NoScript (or similar) to actively block, you "auto-connect" w/Facebook and/or a hella lot more sites, whether intended or not, with most URLs nowadays.

Uh, because embedded links require 'clicking-on' before connecting

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Sorry makes a tool with interchangeable heads. It accommodates square, dia mond and round carbide or steel blades. Because of the mechanics of the in terchangeable head you need to work a tad further from your piece. I have used this and dedicated carbide tools. While I prefer the dedicated tools, the three in one makes for an economical choice.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I know that netstat is a command line tool, but netstat.net is a URL. That is blocked via the corporate "potential risk to the firm" page.

If I include the https:// I get the browser "page can't be reached" message. Chrome adds ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED for all denials (fbcdn, Facebook, Twitter)

If I just use

I get the corporate "potential risk to the firm" page.

(With Facebook and Twitter I get the browser msg regardless of whether I use the https:// or not.)

Uh, yeah, that I know. The question is: What is happening when a site "auto-connects" to Facebook? I don't see anything, do anything, have an account, etc. So what happens with/during my connection?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ordered one via Amazon from Hartville tools.

Thank you, Gramps!

Reply to
G Ross

Well, in the case of

not much really. It appears to just offer up their Facebook 'Like' widget thingy which is located just under '100% satisfaction guaranteed stamp' (on my PC)

Decide for yourself. In FF or Chrome goto

, press Ctrl+U (view page source) scroll down to line 126, study it closely, then post your findings.

Reply to
Spalted Walt