Ping Leon

Tell me again the name of the carbide turning tool you like to use. I think I will try it. Thanks
--
G Ross

On 5/2/2017 6:58 AM, Gresston1 wrote:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/
Leon wrote:

Thank you. I can only afford one right now, would the round or curved square be most useful?
--
GW Ross

What do you like to turn most? The curved square might be good if you like doing things with squareish edges, like straight sided bowls or maybe lids. The round might be good if you do more spindle turning.
I found these guys, but haven't used their products at all: http://eddiecastelin.com/combos_and_other_items
Might be a good alternative to Easy Wood Tools.
Puckdropper

I am not a turning guru. But these tools get the job done. IMHO the round will allow more curves in your turnings. Curved straight for spindle type turnings.
On 5/2/2017 8:47 PM, Leon wrote:

My first Easy Wood turning tool was one with the round tip (I turn mostly pens and small objects like that). Still use it most of the time, though I have since acquired a square-ended tip also. That one seems to help when working on straight lines. Personally, I'd suggest the round tip to start with.
HTH. Matt
On 5/2/2017 5:44 PM, G Ross wrote:

Why not make your own?
I used a 4 sided carbide cutter insert that came with my planer from Grizzly. Had some wrought iron railing laying around, hacked a short piece off and ground a seat for the carbide insert. Drilled and tapped a hole for the insert, turned a handle and wallah, a nice and easy carbide lathe tool. Saved myself an easy $129 for about an hours (less) of work. Works exactly as expected. Here's a pic if it:
http://jbstein.com/Flick/LtoolP1080208.JPG
Grizzly sells the cutters in packs of 10 for $37 and since they are 4 sided, should last your lifetime, and your kids and grandkids lifetime as well:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Indexable-Carbide-Inserts-Carbide-10-Pack/H7319?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com
You probably could buy just one for under $5.00. Other cutters in different shapes can be bought all over the place, although probably more money.
--
Jack
Jack wrote:

Great Idea.
--
GW Ross

On 2017-05-02 10:04 AM, Leon wrote:

FYI, my Kaspersky refuse to allow me to this site,
The requested URL cannot be provided
Object URL:
http://www.easywoodtools.com/
Reason:
The object is infected by HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 8:40:50 PM UTC-4, Idlehands wrote:

Interesting... I didn't have a problem, Idlehands. In fact, I saved the site for future reference, if I ever have the time to get my Lathe going. (Thanks Leon!)
I use Vipre for Internet protection. It's pretty sound, according to my IT guys.
Try opening a new browser and simply typing the site instead of connecting via link, maybe (?)
I don't pretend to be a computer guy, though!!

I would say "you" have a problem with your virus protection program.

I received a similar error too.
On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 11:49:44 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Avast on my Home PC allows access. However, the site is blocked on my corporate PC. When sites are blocked we get a generic "corporate" page saying the site "has been identified as containing content that could pose a risk to the Firm and or may not comply with one or more of the Firm's policies." We never know if it's an virus issue or just something that our IT security team doesn't like.
I can access Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.with no problem, so there is *something* going on with the easywoodtools site that raises a concern within our system and apparently with some AV programs/settings. It could be as simple as http vs. https.
easywoodtools apparently does not use https.

Does your "corporate PC" block Youtube and/or Facebook? netstat shows connections to both with http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley doesn't auto-connect w/Youtube or Facebook
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:58:16 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:

Netstat is blocked. ;-)
Youtube is not blocked, but Facebook is, sort of. Facebook returns a totally different message.
Chrome: This site can't be reached, might be down or moved, etc. IE: This page can't be displayed, make sure the web address is correct, etc.
IOW We get a "browser based" message as opposed to being re-directed to the corporate "website is blocked by firm" message page. I don't know why they handle Facebook (and Twitter) via the browsers.

Perhaps it's the "auto-connect", something that I am not familiar with since I don't use Facebook. They all have links to Facebook on their pages. How is that different than the "auto-connect" you speak of?

netstat isn't a URL, it's a command line tool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat Windows: Run > cmd C:\>netstat -a > Youtube is not blocked, but Facebook is, sort of. Facebook returns a totally different

Actually, when visiting: http://www.easywoodtools.com/ Two seperate Facebook domains are opened (via https): facebook.com and fbcdn.net <https://en.wiki-domains.net/wiki/fbcdn.net What kind of denial msg do you get with: https://www.fbcdn.net

Trust me, unless you're using a browser plugin such as NoScript (or similar) to actively block, you "auto-connect" w/Facebook and/or a hella lot more sites, whether intended or not, with most URLs nowadays.

Uh, because embedded links require 'clicking-on' before connecting
Sorry makes a tool with interchangeable heads. It accommodates square, dia mond and round carbide or steel blades. Because of the mechanics of the in terchangeable head you need to work a tad further from your piece. I have used this and dedicated carbide tools. While I prefer the dedicated tools, the three in one makes for an economical choice.
Gramps' shop wrote:

Ordered one via Amazon from Hartville tools.
Thank you, Gramps!
--
GW Ross

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 1:40:10 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:

I know that netstat is a command line tool, but netstat.net is a URL. That is blocked via the corporate "potential risk to the firm" page.

If I include the https:// I get the browser "page can't be reached" message. Chrome adds ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED for all denials (fbcdn, Facebook, Twitter)
If I just use www.fbcden.net I get the corporate "potential risk to the firm" page.
(With Facebook and Twitter I get the browser msg regardless of whether I use the https:// or not.)

Uh, yeah, that I know. The question is: What is happening when a site "auto-connects" to Facebook? I don't see anything, do anything, have an account, etc. So what happens with/during my connection?

Well, in the case of www.easywoodtools.com, not much really. It appears to just offer up their Facebook 'Like' widget thingy which is located just under '100% satisfaction guaranteed stamp' (on my PC)

Decide for yourself. In FF or Chrome goto http://www.easywoodtools.com , press Ctrl+U (view page source) scroll down to line 126, study it closely, then post your findings.