Ping Leon - Corbel Pics

I suppose the pics are detailed enough to surmise the corbels' construction, but I added comments, anyway. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?details=1
Sonny
On 8/22/2014 6:54 AM, Sonny wrote:

Wow some of those corbels have some really fine detail. Thank you for the link!
On 8/22/2014 7:54 AM, Sonny wrote:

Good work. I've been putting off making two corbels/brackets for my library/gallery fireplace for a long time now. I finished making the actual mantle almost a year ago and it has been sitting since then. My pieces will be _WAY_ simpler than yours and I still can't get myself started on them.
On Friday, August 22, 2014 10:16:23 AM UTC-5, BenignBodger wrote:

That is not my work. I salvaged those from an old building in New Orleans.
If you look closely, there are a few areas that need a little repair. Som eday, I'll repair them and find a place to use them.
The cuttings seems easy to do. They are simple cuts.... with a scroll saw, mostly, I think. Just have to make sure the cuts match fairly precise.
The construction demonstrates that a variety of simple cuts/designs/tasks a re used, then assembled to make the whole look like a complicated piece of work. Kinna like any other woodwork: 300 little (simple?) tasks to perfo rm, to make a whole display/china cabinet. Do one little job at a time and piecemeal things together. With a little imagination, one can make their own design, applying their own small appliques as they want.
Long ago, when I didn't know any better, before seeing any piecemeal forms, as these, up close, I thought those intricate achitectural forms were hand carved from a solid piece.
Sonny