Ping: RicodJour - Roofing cap pics

Jumped up the chimney tuckpointer's ladder to take a look. Didn't even have to drag out my heavy.

Comments?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Well, I'm not sure why someone would use old, mismatched shingles as cap shingles on a new roof, but it wasn't the best idea they ever had. Strange place to save $20. I've never seen such deteriorated cap shingles. How long had the cap shingles been sitting (outside?) before they were installed? I'm guessing they must have been left over from the previous roof installation, so at least fifteen years. Looking on the bright side, at least they'll be real easy to replace.

RicodJour

Roof was done 10 years ago this week. The caps were the same color as the shingles. I've been up there most years since. But not for 4 years, because I had my gutter clogging tree cut down.

4 years ago I didn't notice any deterioration of the caps. Looks like I got "40 year" shingles with 10-year self-destructing caps. I see the roofer is still in business, so I'll call him out and see what he says.

---Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

What? No ridge vents?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

My understanding is that there are no 40 year 3 tab shingles. That is what ridge caps are cut from, 3 tab. 3 tabs are thinner and won't last anywhere near as long as architectural.

It seems to me also, since the cap shingles are bent that that cuts into the life also.

Just replace them.

YMMV.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Don't see any ridge vents in my neighborhood. Houses are circa late '50's, early '60's. I assume they're mostly ventilated like mine. Gable vents and a powered roof vent tied to a thermostat. Seems to work okay for my place.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

That's what I'll do. But not me. Too old for that. It's going to be interesting to see what the original roofer says.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

My prediction:

1 - The roofer will blame the manufacturer. 2 - The manufacturer will blame the roofer. 3 - You'll be stuck in the middle with no recourse until you finally give up and pay someone to replace something that should be covered under *somebody's" warranty.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's hard to fault a cap shingle installation. The surface of the shingles broke down before the rest of the shingles. The manufacturer will probably pony up some prorated money to replace the caps - say $10. ;) But more likely they'll probably just offer a few bundles of replacement cap shingles, and the burden of the cost - the installation, will be on Vic as the roofer will rightfully say, "I didn't do anything wrong!"

RicodJour

e:

Count your blessings, man! How would you like the reverse situation?

A couple of manufacturers do make cap shingles with corresponding longevity.

Particularly when the roofer bends them too sharply, or on a cold day, and they crack right at the ridge. You see that all too often.

RicodJour

My 80 year old friend Steve works on his roof, he also walks around his house on his hands.

YMMV.

What warranty? I don't think there is any kind of a warranty on 3 tab shingles cut and applied as a ridge cap. I can't see this as being expensive to fix.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

That's what I fully expect. The only question will be the price the roofer gives me, and whether I should shop it. I'm thinking about $300, give or take $50..

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

God bless him! That was my goal, but right now it ain't happening. My fault. Too much sitting around after I retired. I used to be athletic, and still don't carry much extra weight. Trying to get my legs back in shape now. Hell, I'm only 64. Funny thing happened when I climbed up on the roof using the tuckpointer's ladder. After I took the shots of the caps, I basically collapsed with a pulled muscle. Could barely get back to the ladder, and really worried the tuckpointer, who actually grabbed my arm to aid me. "Sir, Sir, let me help you." And he's 54! Felt bad about worrying him. When I got back on the ladder I looked at him and told him how I used to hang off 40 footers painting with my brother. I'm sure that impressed him.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

:

re: "...he also walks around his house on his hands."

Why?

And doesn't that leave footprints on his knuckles?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Because he can, and wants to be able to for as long as he can. Also teaches acrobatics.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I just got around to getting roofers to look at this. They kept curling up more and I don't want a leak. The original guy only returned my call once after about 6 calls to his answering service and voice mail. I wasn't home when he called and it went to my voice mail. I don't think he's really active anymore. Maybe hitting the bottle. Gave up on him. Anyway, the problem is he used an "organic" shingle for the caps. Well known by roofers and customers who got them. I just found out.

cost me $900 to get them pulled and replaced with good stuff. House and garage. Shit happens.

Reply to
Vic Smith