PineyWood Darby Track

I've been tasked with doing the testing and setup of the Pinewood Derby Track for this year.

Apparently our pack bought the wood version of the track made by

in 2002. At the same time we purchased the MicroWizard timing system.

It seems well enough made, although one of the track sections is labeled incorrectly which, if assembled accordingly, produces a bump in the joining of the guide sections - which may have been the reason for some cars jumping the track last year.

Anyways, this track was provided with no finish and no one has seen fit to put one on it since it was purchased. The manufacturer includes instructions for finishing all surfaces of the track with water-based polyurethane.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad way to go but thought that I would elicit some comment here before buying materials and applying.

This could be an opportunity to turn an acceptable track into something a bit more.

The track shows signs of being stored in an unconditioned space - rough surfaces, moisture stains, etc. It also has a number of stains from what I assume to be lubricants.

I figure that it is a good idea to sand and finish it - but I've been wrong before.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Doesn't really matter as long as all the lanes are the same.

mogura

You're going to bias it more than it is already by creating dips and slicks if you aren't careful. I made ours with 1/4" masonite, unfinished, for that reason. Even had a turnbuckle to control the curvature of the drop, back when most folks were making bouncy plywood messes, most of which were sanded and painted peeled fir.

Better idea is to get it straight, sand only for equalization, test for bias, and find someone who will store it in the crate up in the garage rafters. First kid's 30 now, so make it over 20 years of service on the old one. Did some repair/replace on it five years ago at the request of the current Cubmaster.

Reply to
George