plasterers Darby

In use what are the main differences in using either a plasterers Darby

a featheredge
some plastering to do so thought I would treat myself to one of these. Is the featheredge more versatile if you only got the choice of one of them. Got some plastering to do because didn't like the quote of £700 + materials to do a room, although I will try and get some other quotes, else it's a week of work and pay myself! Thought a pro would have seen it off in 2 days but he talking about being at it for a week, 2 of em. Must be short of work!!

Reply to
simon beer

Many years ago, when I used to suffer lots of power cuts, I had a Honda genny with a length of flex going to a 13A plug (!!!) just outside the back door. During a power cut i would switch off the main switch and plug the genny into an external 13A socket and fire it up. I always made sure the heavy loads such as heating were switched off. Lights etc were no problem for the genny. Maybe the odd TV too.

Then, because the genny was at the bottom of the garden and I'm a lazy

*******, when the power was restored in the area I'd simply switch on the immersion heater. The genny would overload and auto stop and all I ad to do was unplug it from the external socket and switch the main switch back on.

I know, I know. It's horrible and really crude and nasty but It worked!

Thankfully we no lonnger suffer repetative cuts so I haven't had to stoop so low for a long time! To be honest I find it hard admitting it!

Reply to
PJO

I use a piece of straight timber. Contrary to what it says on the webpage, the device is not used for final surface finishing. It's used for producing a flat (but not finished) surface on the scratch coat. It needs to be rigid to do this, and the ones I have handled in the sheds are nowhere near as rigid as a piece of timber. I've never seen a real plasterer using a metal darby.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Chap who did some for me use one.

Reply to
chris French

In message , simon beer writes

How big is the room and what exactly are they doing?

Last year had a bedroom about 3x4m ish replastered.

Drylined one wall, boarded the ceiling, pitched a couple of bits, then skimmed the lot and put up coving.

Took 2-3 of them about 3 days (but not all were full days) cost GBP 330 (not including the plasterboard) - but this was probably at the cheap end of the price range and I'm not sure how much the Tax mans knows about

Reply to
chris French

the room is about 3.7m x 3.5m with nearly 9ft ceiling. the ceiling already boarded needs skimming. the walls are (will be) stripped bare needing render and skim

Reply to
simon beer