photography for woodworkers

Yeah - I know I could google it but I'd like to hear some real opinons from actual woodworkers. :) I don't have a good place to photograph furniture I've built. Garage is too messy, bed / living rooms are to dark. I need some (cheap) lighting solution which would work for occasional photography sessions for pieces I've built. Home grown would be the cheapest. But I'd also consider buying an inexpensive setup that works well. Thanks.

Reply to
xxxx

On the driveway in front of your closed garage door.

Reply to
Leon

Leon's closed garage door would work, not very pretty though. There are several ways you could make it prettier; here are a couple...

  1. drape sheets or other material from it
  2. buy a roll paper background

Paper rolls come up to at least 12' wide by 36' long. The length is so it can be extended horizontally under the subject to give a seamless effect. You would have to rig a couple of stands with a crosspiece to support the roll. 2" PVC would support it OK, so would electrical conduit. Sand bags are often used to weight down the stands.

Out of doors, just use the available light, picking the time of day when it is best. Overcast days are easy, nice even light. It is easy to augment the available light with reflectors to fill in or accent. Crumpled aluminum foil stapled/taped to cardboard is all you need. Mirrors work to but are harder to control.

Lighting inside is easy...100 watt bulbs should work fine. They would give a harsh light but a white sheet suspended 3' - 4' in front will soften it. You could also put them in inexpensive reflectors either to use as direct light or to bounce light off the ceilings and/or walls.

In all cases, avoid front light. You want light from a direction so that the shape of the object is delineated; use front light only to soften shadows.

Reply to
dadiOH

Now dog'gone'it my garage doors are purdy!

Reply to
Leon

Spalted Walt

Spalted Walt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This was helpful. thx

Reply to
xxxx

Depending on the size some of John Jordan's tips may be useful.

Nova