PC 557 biscuit Jointer - play in the plunger mechanism

I just bought a Porter-Cable 557 type 3 Biscuit Jointer.
The first thing I noticed when I pulled it out of the box was some wobbling between the top handle and the rear handle. Looking at the blade, the mouvement is small but visible. Hum...
Using the corner of my table saw as a flat surface and with the aid of a dial gage, I measured 0.012" of play at the blade tip (I had to disconnect both lateral springs to keep the blade out). 0.012" is almost 1/10 of the blade thickness!
I figure that in order for biscuit to be useful they need to be precisely aligned. Is that kind of play too much?
You guys with experience with biscuit jointer, what do you think?
I didn`t fired it up yet, I prefer to wait for your sound advice.
Thanks
Martin Boulerice
You have just over 1/100" of play. I can assure you that biscuits will vary in thickness more than that. With that in mind, the blade could have no play at all and the non uniform thickness of the biscuits would still come into play.

dead blow, or rubber hammer, to get it where you want it.
This is woodworking, not machine making, so put away your micrometers. :-)
--
Jim in NC

measure once cut twice hit it with a hammer 3 times and paint it to match if all else fails get a bigger hammer. I have the 557 and use it with no problems. Ironically I also have a Ryobi that works just as well. Yes you want some play in the cut anyway to alow for alignment glue ect.
-- Unless you can create the WHOLE universe in 5 days, Then perhaps giving "advice" to God, isn't such a good idea!

I think that I'll never quit kicking my own butt for buying the 557. I should have gotten the Makita or Lamello. I don't like the fence design. Ironically, I bought it because of the fence! That was before I used the damned thing and found out getting the slots cut exactly perpendicular to the edge of the board is problematic with the 557. I could care less about the fact it cuts FF slots and you can set the fence to 135 degrees. If they'll take it back, do yourself a big favor and get one of the other units.
For all those who are gonna flame me for this, BITE ME!, in advance. :)
dave
Martin Boulerice wrote:

Hey Dave what's up? I got the Type 2 557 Plate jointer, just a wee bit ago. Works great. I think you got hold of a bad one. Call PC and tell em ya want it fixed.

Dear Martin:
I have owned or sold all the brands of biscuit jointers....you have a good machine....In my opinion the best of the bunch except the high dollar Lamello A biscuit machine is not a precision instrument and that small of a run out will not effect your biscuit-jointery in any way.
Use the machine and happy woodworking. Woodworking is supposed to be fun, as another recomended put those calipers away and go build something.
Mike from American Sycamore