Panasonic 12V Drill

Dear RECers,
I was in need of a new cordless drill and I ordered a 12V Panasonic from Amazon. I got the EY6405 FQKW model. It just arrived, but I'm at work and can't try it out here.
In looking over my new drill, I note that when I tighten or loosen the chuck, I hear a clicking sound like a ratchet. Never heard this on a drill before, but if it keeps bits from slipping, so much the better. Still, I'm not sure this is normal, so..
My question to the group: Does anyone have this drill (or a similar Panasonic)? Does it make the noise I describe?
Thanks,
Bill Leonhardt (reply doesn't work, at least I hope not) reply to wjleonhardt*at*bnl*dot*gov

My dewalt cordless does the same thing.
Bob
The clutch on my DeWalt does that, but the chuck is pretty smooth and quiet.
BillyBob wrote:

Yes, it's a ratcheting chuck. -dave

Thanks for all the replies on the Panasonic drill. Sometimes just need a little "hand-holding". A real benefit of participating in this group.
Bill
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:15:47 -0400, "Bill Leonhardt"

its supposed to do that. it is a one handed chuck. you dont have to hold the chuck and hit the trigger to replace bits. simply turn the chuck to tighten or release the bit. BTW well done on your choice of drill. it will serve you well.
skeez
Every late model Panasonic I have had in my hands does it. So it is (i'm guessing) normal.
Matthew

I have a Dewalt that does the same thing. It's designed that way. Never had it slip. Works.

Bill,
You made an excellent choice.
I have the 15.6 volt big brother and that sound is normal.
Going on about 8 years of hard use with a number of battery rebuilds (www.primecell.com) and that drill is going strong and still my favorite. The chuck is a big part of why I like it so much. Bits never slip and it's so quick to replace them.
I've been waiting for the 12v model to drop in price so I can get another Panasonic and finally get rid of the other cordless drills I have that never fail to disappoint.
Paul R
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

--
Paul