Ovens/Furnaces in the HSM/Woodworking Shop

Yes, the most important one. Reheating coffee. Mine always goes cold about half way through the cup. An old microwave works great.

Seriously, I've used the microwave for heating small rubber tires before putting them on roller bearings. I also used it to make veneer more flexible. I wet the veneer and then zapped it. It came out steaming and quite flexible.

I might be wrong, but would using an electric oven for drying (solvent based) paint/finishes create a risk of explosion?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Please tell me more. I am about to paint a model engine and I would really like to know how this works. Is this process benigh enough that I can do it in my kitchen oven?

I painted one model with rusteloum paint a few years ago and it took a long time with a heat lamp before the paint was hard.

I did some tests with newer rusteloum paint and it seems to harden much faster. In fact it seems to be a much better paint too.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Might I suggest you invest in a small appliance cup, and use a commercial enamel (like Rustoleum) with some additional hardener. The hardener may be had at any automotive paint supply.

Wear breathing protection, and use lots of ventilation. The hardeners are quite toxic. But BOY do they do a nice job. The film turns as hard as crystal, and SHINES!

I did my 8N tractor this way, and even scraping live oak limbs didn't rub off the paint.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Please tell me: what is a small appliance cup? Do you mean a small spray gun?

I assumed from the original posting that someone was using normal paint (maybe from a spray can) and then baking it to make it harder and more durable.

I need to paint a model Hit-and-miss engine. I want to keep it reasonably simple. Spraying with a spray can and baking in my kitchen oven is reasonably simple. Not sure I can use a normal spray gun even though I do have a couple of them. If it gets too complex, I would opt to take it to a automotive paint shop and pay them to paint it.

chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

I didn't make the original comment about baking paint, but I've have very good luck with baking high temperature engine enamel. Apply it, let it dry, then bake it for an hour at 350deg. I did this once or twice in my kitchen oven without big problems. You might want to try a small sample to find out if it smokes excessively. The result, though, is a very hard surfaced paint that wears well, and is heat resistant to boot. Comes in a spray can, no need for a gun.

Reply to
Gary Brady

No, that has to do with a sporting protective device for probably meaningless small appliances. snort, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

According to Chuck Sherwood :

I'll wait for others on this, as I am slightly puzzled too.

I've done this with black wrinkle varnish. The baking (in my apartment's oven all those years ago) produced two effects:

1) A much finer wrinkle pattern. 2) It got much harder much quicker. Without the baking, it took forever for the paint to get hard. With it, as soon as it cooled down from the oven it was quite hard.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I don't want my paint to wrinkle. Will a non wrinkle paint still be smooth if its baked?

What temp did you use for baking? I typically use a little bondo to fill the pits in the castings. I think this will limit the max baking temp.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

According to Chuck Sherwood :

As long as you don't bake it too hot.

It has been a long time, (this had to have happened somewhere between 1964 and 1974, while I was in that apartment).

The wrinkle enamel was designed for the purpose. IIRC, you sprayed a rather thick coat, let it dry for fifteen minutes (or was it an hour), and then sprayed another coat of equal thickness -- while the first was still quite soft. The outer coat formed a skin which wrinkled as the underlying paint dried.

IIRC -- the rattle can had a baking temperature listed on it.

Whatever the label on the rattle can suggested. This has been at least thirty years ago. And the temperature would be different for different paints, anyway.

If the composition of the paint does not limit it.

If the rattle can's label does not suggest any baking temperature, go the the maker's web page and look for a FAQ file -- which *might* have that information.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Already tried that without any luck. I have been experimenting with rusteloum spray cans and they seem to harden much quicker now than then my previous experience. I suspect the formula is much different because the directions are also quite different.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

A 10,000 degree F furnace ?

Don't I wish.

I wish I had a 6000 degree Rankine (5,540 F) furnace.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Morris Dovey wrote:

Reply to