OUCH - #@%*)!!!!

I started to OT but it ain't.

Even the most innocent tools in our shops are lurking, waiting to hurt is. Like my Irwin bar clamps.

Today I was removing clamps from a cabinet frame. I am not sure how I managed this but I was holding one 4' bar by the movable head with most of the bar pointing up. I was removing a second clamp with the other hand with the intent of putting both in my rack. Apparently I squeezed the trigger on the head and the full length of the bar slid through the head smashing my pinky finger between the head the the the roll pin at the end of the bar. That HURT!

But it hurts a LOT more now and the entire end of the finger is now purple which suggests a fracture - the second for this pinky.

Guys - Be careful out there!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Sorry about the typos but dammit - typing HURTS!

Reply to
RonB

SPSA: Safe Performance Self Assessment. EVERY task.

DAMHIKT

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

You usually only do that once. ;~)

I am still trying, 3 years later, to determine how the whole end of my middle finger got between the nail head and the hammer.... when attaching a fence rail to the top of gate post. And keeping in mind that I had a framing nailer at my feet.

Reply to
Leon

I just got one of these from Rockler

's one of those self-clamping saw guides, 50" long. I took it out of the box Tuesday night and clamped it onto the piece of 3/4" ply that I typically use on sawhorses as an auxiliary work surface. Seemed solid.

Just then my wife came home and asked what the new tool was for. By way of demonstration I unclamped it, moved it and pivoted the handle down to reclamp it, pinching the pad of my left ring-finger on something underneath in the process. I have a nice 1/4" blood blister there now which promises to be an annoyance for a number of days to come.

I haven't take the time to identify the exact part that was the pinch hazard, but it seemed awfully easy to do.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Will it work for other than 90 degree angle? My home-made one requires a small C-clamp on each end. I can see how this would be faster and easier to use.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

A blood blister anecdote: Back in the 60's I had a beauty of a blood blister on my finger, about 4 days old. I had made some mead using honey, water and yeast. It was about ready to drink, so I had a small glass full that night. Next morning the blood clot was gone from the blood blister, just an empty skin pocket. Maybe just a coincidence, and I have never had to try again to see.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Other than as a "finger-nipper", I haven't had a chance to test out its functions, but it does appear to be intended for 90 degree cuts only.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

For $100 plus shipping and handling (volume discounts available), I'll sell you a copy of my newest invention: ClampStop (tm). It's a large aluminum brake that attaches to the bar of the clamp, and inductively senses when a finger is interposed between the clamping surfaces, or between the clamp and the roll pin. In instants (less than 50 milliseconds) the brake clamps down on the bar and stops the clamp from sliding. The ClampStop (tm) adds about twelve pounds to the weight of the bar clamp and a small measure of inconvenience, which is fully offset by the safety provided by the system. Unfortunately the brake damages the bar, making it further unusable, and the brake itself is destroyed in the process. Replacement brakes are $100, and can ordinarily be shipped within two weeks. Due to a special purchase, I can also supply you with replacement Irwin bar clamps in any size for prices between $150 and $200 each depending on bar length, fully upgraded with ClampStops (tm).

Take advantage of this offer now, and avoid the heartbreak of finger pinches forever!

Tom ClampStop (tm)

I started to OT but it ain't.

Even the most innocent tools in our shops are lurking, waiting to hurt is. Like my Irwin bar clamps.

Today I was removing clamps from a cabinet frame. I am not sure how I managed this but I was holding one 4' bar by the movable head with most of the bar pointing up. I was removing a second clamp with the other hand with the intent of putting both in my rack. Apparently I squeezed the trigger on the head and the full length of the bar slid through the head smashing my pinky finger between the head the the the roll pin at the end of the bar. That HURT!

But it hurts a LOT more now and the entire end of the finger is now purple which suggests a fracture - the second for this pinky.

Guys - Be careful out there!

RonB

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Greg Guarino wrote in news:jio8eb$qfr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I use one of these, as well as other guides. While this one is for 90° cuts, you could cut wedges of other angles I suppose.

Reply to
Han

I have another set of guides which consist of a pair of 48" aluminum tracks and a "joining" piece to put them together. Those require separate clamps. I'm sure it would be easier, not to mention more secure, to use those for non-90 degree cuts, should I ever get that ambitious.

I bought the self-clamping guide for a particular job; cutting down a pair of already-built plywood cabinets. As they are boxes, rather than individual sheets of wood, it would be difficult to clamp the aluminum tracks on. I have the long clamps I'd need to fasten the tracks to a 2' wide box, but it would be clumsy as hell, especially to do it 6 times.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Greg Guarino wrote in news:jiolc2$fqp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That's the thing I have as well. I have to be careful not to push the circular saw too hard against it, because then it bends. DAMHIKT!

That's a good use, but it is just as handy on sheet goods.

Reply to
Han

OH Hell. Sorry I posted this! Here comes another federally mandated safety feature. My original post has probably already made the rounds at a hundred law firms.

I feel terrible.

......I mean besides the finger.

RonB :o)

Reply to
RonB

OH Hell. Sorry I posted this! Here comes another federally mandated safety feature. My original post has probably already made the rounds at a hundred law firms.

I feel terrible.

......I mean besides the finger.

RonB :o)

I, on the other hand, am about to become a multi-millionaire.

Tom :-)

Reply to
Tom Dacon

I got myself twice last week:

First ... bracing a piece with my left hand while driving a pocket screw at a weird angle. Bit slipped and the square drive went right into my palms. Nice cut and hurt like hell for a few days.

Second ... unloading a cabinet from the back of the SUV. Twisted the wrong way and pulled my right hamstring. Felt that puppy twang like a guitar string and thought I tore it. Still hobbling and expect to do so for the next three months.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

I did the pocket screw driver trick a couple of years ago. Reminded me of Sam Elliot's line in the movie Roadhouse after he knee-kicked that guy. "Damn, that hurts, doesn't it!"

RonB

Reply to
RonB