OT: What's Up With Kansas?

Page 1 of 2
A friend sent me this "editorial" from the heartland. A local paper gave one of its pressman free reign to compose an editorial. It might be brilliant satire but it's probably just an ill-informed screed by an bitter old white guy from flyover country:
http://discussions.ottawaherald.com/article.php?sid 86&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0

Can't you just feel the hate?

Ah, hell, they are all over the place around here. First it's Obama as a Muslim, then a fundamentalist Muslim, than...I fully expect some asswipe to come up claiming an al Quaida connection soon, as we have a Democratic primary next Tuesday.
I sometimes wonder whether these people are hate-filled, or frightened so badly by events that their good judgment, shaky at best I'd guess, is gone.

What can you do? I just laughed and passed it along. Do you think he wets the bed?
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:55:24 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

Whatever it is, there's plenty to go around.
--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact /

I wish you'd titled your post "What's Up With Gary Sillett" instead of referencing Kansas.
We also have to put up with the likes of Fred Phelps, but the opinions of a few aren't necessarily held by the many. Instead, especially with Mr. Phelps (and I use "Mr." instead of "Rev.", deliberately), they are an embarrassment to vast majority of Kansans. I haven't been able to access the full story so I can't/won't comment on what Mr. Stillett may have said.
And, I might mention, Jeff, that use of the term "flyover country" is not only offensive, but says more about you than it does about Kansas.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Feb 7, 12:19 pm, Tom Veatch wrote:

Sorry. it was a play on the book title. What does my use of "flyover country" say about me? I've met several people from the midwest who used the term to describe where they lived. Perhaps they were being ironic and I had to be there to get the joke.
Jeff

Some people take pride in where they live, I guess. http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2007/02/07/72-the-world-as-seen-from-new-yorks-9th-avenue /
Or maybe it's sort of like the "N" word, if you have the right paintjob, it's somehow OK.
<Tom Veatch> wrote in message

Don't suppose you're interested at all in knowing the word Polack means one of Polish nationality or ethnicity _in Polish_ I guess. Or perhaps it's just some of that right wing propaganda from those Republicans who want to starve our old people and undereducate our children. Even worse, it might be from one of those fundamentalist CHRISTIANS!!!!!

Thank you for your reply. Of course I'm interested in learning new things. The only times I've heard "Polack" used, by persons, whom I assumed to be of non-Polish descent, it has been in a derogatory context. As a result, I avoid using the term.
I'm afraid I don't understand the references in the remainder of your post unless they're intended to be tongue-in-cheek..
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

Polack (plk, -lk) n. 1. Offensive slang used as a disparaging term for a person of Polish birth or descent. 2. Obsolete A native of Poland; a Pole.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/polack
It's derived from the Polish word "Polak" which means a Pole. In America the word Polack has been used insultingly since 1898. For more information see:
http://kpearson.faculty.tcnj.edu/Dictionary/polack.htm
--
Jack Novak (originally Nowakowski but not offended by the term Polack)
Buffalo, NY - USA
<Tom Veatch> wrote in message wrote:

Wish they were. Sadly, we are allowed to disparage certain groups, like the ones mentioned, or even encouraged to do so.
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:37:53 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

unattractive that the only way it should be experienced is by "fly-over" on your way from one coast to the other.

And there seems to be a bumper crop of them. Much further west of Wichita, they are about the only trees you'll see. But, the big sky, the fields of grain, the rolling hills and tallgrass prairie, may not be as striking and dramatic as the mountains to our west, but they have a beauty of their own.

other location here or abroad. For the last 34 years, and for the foreseeable future, here is just fine with me.

Then she probably lives within a few miles of me. I'm about 7 miles due north of Clearwater between Wichita and Goddard.

You know, Kansas does have a reputation for tornados. Undeserved, I feel. The last time I made the effort to search, the National Weather Service (?) listing of the most dangerous places to live WRT tornados had no place in Kansas within the top 10. The #1 place was where I lived prior to coming here, Huntsville, AL. While we were in Huntsville, tornados took out the block of houses across the street from us with only minor damage on our side of the street. Not saying they don't occur in Kansas, as you well know, but I can actually remember several consecutive days where I didn't see any tornados on the horizon. <G>

Now that wouldn't surprise me in the least. The Wizard of Oz is probably the most famous tourist "attraction" Kansas has. After all, not many people come to "Ski Kansas" And no, Dorothy and the Wizard isn't the only tourist attraction in Kansas. We also have the world's largest hand-dug well and, even better than that, the world's largest ball of twine. (see above for "fly-over")

Would that I were. But if there is any family relationship, the tree branched prior to the War of Northern Agression.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Feb 7, 8:17 pm, Tom Veatch wrote:

Are you sure you aren't invoking connotations that aren't there? "Fly- over" denotes an aerial view. People from the northeast and California often travel to the opposite coast which necessitates a flight over the stuff in between. It's what you see before you get to California. (Or the Rockies in ski season) Most of these people don't have opinions about "fly-over" states since they've never been there. Well except for the people who couldn't get a direct. <nelson>Ha Ha!</ nelson> Kansas might be the coolest place on earth - what do weknow?
Again, no offense was intended.
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:37:53 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Often pronounced Olatha, but spelled Olathe. It's the location of the Kansas City Air Route Traffic Control Center. I know a little about that.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I KEEP doing that..and I KNOW better. That does it. Overland Park from now on...
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:39:28 -0600, Tom Veatch wrote:

I have a friend who is a retired Chief Petty Officer. I made the mistake one time of referring to him as a former Chief. He said, "hold it. Hold it. There are no former Marines and there are no former Cheifs. Once a Chief, always a Chief."
Apparently I was misinformed.

So would that say more about you or him?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

He is correct.
I consider myself to be still a Marine, even though it's been over 40 years since I served on active duty. However, in the interest of efficiency it is simpler to say "former Marine" than it is to say "Marine no longer serving on active duty" or some other torturous phrase which serves no purpose other than pedantry.

I don't know. What do you think?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Feb 7, 6:01 pm, Tom Veatch wrote:

Buncha boots. He's correct in a way: there are no EX-Marines, but more than a few of us former Marines. Or at least that's the way my Marine Corps League detachment would have it.
Ah, I do remember the dixie cups. We used to call them swab jockeys.
Jeez, that was a long time ago.