OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

There is that but eventually they got OJ red handed.

Reply to
Leon

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 09:12:33 -0600, Leon

There *are* some advantages to registering guns. If some are stolen, they can be returned to the lawful owner assuming serials haven't been removed.

There's a definite advantage to law enforcement if they can track a gun from the original owner to where it's finally seized.

Another reason may be to cause gun owners to reasonably and safely store their firearms as they should be doing. Too many children are killed or injured every year because of improperly stored guns.

None of these reasons have anything to do with this Mom protecting her child as she was fully entitled to do. Just that there can be reasons why some gun control has good purpose.

Reply to
Dave

He's been charged with murder, not convicted. A trial will decide intent and guilt. Don't get your knickers in a twist :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Leon wrote in news:MMydnd35NaBz snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The guy who got angry at me for barely bumping the rear wheel of the bike he was pushing on the sidewalk threw his slize of pizza at me. I guess I was lucky he didn't have a gun or knife and that he was restrained by the streetvendors. I think there is a difference in the effects of a slice of pizza and a gun though.

I have no objection tosomeone having a gun, IF they know how to handle it responsibly. The fact that now anyone who really wants it can get a gun without anyone checking on him is what makes it scary for me. I really think that should be made more difficult, and that both the buyer and seller should face the consequences of an illegal act.

As I said, a different subject, but one of the facets of a less lawful society.

We have gone over the aspects that the law of felony murder is likely because of deterrence, and to get the guy who had been stirring up the trouble and was "smart" enough to let someone else do the deed.

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's what usenet is for!!!

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That was only because he got too arrgant and stupid.

Reply to
Han

Yeah! LOL

Reply to
Leon

Han wrote in news:Xns9FD362DCF9CAFikkezelf@216.151.153.71:

[...]

Largely because of our absurd policy of jailing people for using drugs, or for possessing small amounts for personal use.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Actually I do not believe he has been charged for murder at all, I think that was suggested by a someone that had heard something that some one said that oddly the media has not got wind of and yet seems to be common knowledge only here in this group. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Damn, I just knew that was too easy.

Verily.

-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Doug Miller wrote in news:Xns9FD39B22E4186dougmilmaccom@127.0.0.1:

I was born in Holland, so follow with some interest the Amsterdam experiences. It does turn out only semi-beneficial to allow low-level drugs. One bad aspect is the riffraff drugtourists coming in. That causes troubles in tourist areas (not only Amsterdam). Another is the "gateway" to small-time and not so smalltime transgressions of the law in other areas, hard(er) drugs, prostitution and human trafficking. So I haven't reall formed a hard opinion, but I think that somewhere there should be a definite and definitive border beyond which it is a real bad crime. But, yes, it would likely be beneficial to drug users and society as a whole if personal drug use would be allowed, and somehow regulated and taxed.

YMMV!

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

"Prosecutors have instead charged the intruder's alleged accomplice, 29- year-old Dustin Stewart, with first-degree murder in the death of his friend, Justin Shane Martin, 24." A news report, so not authoritative ...

Han

The second perp need to be punished, and heavily.

If I were the DA, I'd have that mindset going into it, then let the facts bring it into focus. I'd want to get the guy on tape as to what his mindset was at the time of the incident. Who brought whom into the picture, what they were planning, etc. If he wanted to rape the woman and got the dumb moose to break the door in for him, I'd want him hung (or better.)

-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Humm... we'll now see if it makes it to court.

Reply to
Leon

Snip

But, yes, it would likely be beneficial to drug users and society

Do to Denver, you may buy your drugs there with the good graces of law enforcement.

Reply to
Leon

One word - INTENT. If the intent was to kill the guy, it's the same as breaking i to the trailer if the guy dies breaking in.

A more likely charge in the cliff incident would be manslaughter or criminal negligence causing death.

Reply to
clare

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oops. For the record, I use medications, not what generally is thought of as drugs. The silly giggling of a friend smoking something made the decision for me. The smell of marihuana smoke in the rest room closest to my lab in the VA clinched it.

To each his own. I have no objection to you smoking or whatever the lesser stuff, as long as you don't commit crimes getting it, or drive while under the influence.

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's a whole other kettle of fish ...

Reply to
Han

Only if "felonious intent" - like trying to ram someone, or escape police pursuit.

Reply to
clare

Prove intent. Reasonable doubt.

Get a good lawyer