OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

Page 6 of 11
On 1/7/2012 8:56 AM, Han wrote:

intentions all of the time. Thank goodness a court of law is suppose to only use actual facts.

Thanks, Leon, I think. I have a better idea of "the other guys'" concepts and preconceived views now. I don't necessarily agree ...
I am getting rather (not sarcastic, I forget the word now) of what it really is that a court of law does. We have trial by jury because who can trust a judge appointed for life or chosen by the "people", who has to run soon again for reelection. Then we have trial lawyers who get paid by their client (either the perp or complainant, or the "people") and sometimes do an excellent and convincing job of twisting the jury's mind. Think about OJ. etc. etc.
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/7/2012 10:40 AM, Han wrote:

There is that but eventually they got OJ red handed.

That was only because he got too arrgant and stupid.
--
Best regards
Han
Leon wrote:

If I have no knowledge he had a gun, there's no foul. If I knew he had a gun, but, again, had no information that he intended to use it in an illegal manner, also no foul.
If I knew he had a gun and intended to shoot somebody and I went along to try and dissuade that action, no foul.
If I knew in advance that my buddy intended to commit an illegal act and I went along to assist in some way, I'm equally guilty of any offense my buddy commits. My assistance can be quite passive, such as a look-out, driving the getaway car, or anything tending to make a success of my buddy's escapade.
Let's take a simply example: If I hold the victim down while my buddy stabs him 18 times thereby ending the victim's life, should I be responsible only for simple assault? After all, I didn't do any stabbing.
If you didn't hold him down, for that purpose, would he be still alive?
------------- "HeyBub" wrote in message
If I have no knowledge he had a gun, there's no foul. If I knew he had a gun, but, again, had no information that he intended to use it in an illegal manner, also no foul.
If I knew he had a gun and intended to shoot somebody and I went along to try and dissuade that action, no foul.
If I knew in advance that my buddy intended to commit an illegal act and I went along to assist in some way, I'm equally guilty of any offense my buddy commits. My assistance can be quite passive, such as a look-out, driving the getaway car, or anything tending to make a success of my buddy's escapade.
Let's take a simply example: If I hold the victim down while my buddy stabs him 18 times thereby ending the victim's life, should I be responsible only for simple assault? After all, I didn't do any stabbing.

Now, if you went in with him KNOWING he had a beef with the bartender he intended to settle - yes, you could be charged - and convicted.

Leon wrote:

Of course not. In the scenario you propose, I did not participate in the fight or the planning thereof.
But suppose I and my buddy PLAN to go to the bar and whip the shit out of my buddy's enemy (or maybe shoot him) and I drive the car or otherwise participate in the plan, even to the smallest degree of "watching his back," then, yes, I'm guilty of murder.
Suppose I have a car. My buddy says, "Hey, would you drive me over to 1000 Main Street?" and I agree. While at the Main Street location, my buddy murders someone. I face NO charges.
If, on the other hand, my buddy says, "Hey, would you drive me over to 1000 Main Street? There's someone there that needs killing." If I give him the requested lift, I'm a murderer.
This distinction, prior knowledge of the propose crime and participation in the crime, imputes guilt to all the participants. It's been this way in common law since the Magna Carta (probably).

The last I heard, running a light isn't a felony.
-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra
On 1/6/2012 7:55 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

not yet. give obammy another 4 yrs......

--
Steve Barker
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:46:11 -0800, Steve Barker

Judging by the REP lineup, he's gonna have that chance. Ick! I'd love to see a Paul/Perot or Thompson/Perot ticket.
The DEMs haven't yet come to their senses, but my sister is finally accepting that AGWK isn't happening. There's hope there yet.
-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra

On 1/6/2012 10:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

E#exactly!

No. Again, I am not a lawyer, and not familiar with the specific laws of your state or Oklahoma, but running a red light is not even a misdemeanor, let alone a felony.

On 1/7/2012 7:33 AM, Larry W wrote:

It is breaking a law. Therefore you are liable for being punished in some way for being with him.

Being with someone is different than conspiring with someone. Different logic.
On 1/7/2012 9:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Totally agree. But it is only speculative that there was a conspiracy of what may have happened with the woman and her child. Fortunately she made sure that we could only speculate and probably saved the other guy in the yard from more serious charges.
Leon wrote:

Giggle.
"However, prosecutors have charged his alleged accomplice, 29-year-old Dustin Louis Stewart, with first-degree murder. According to authorities, Stewart was with Martin but ran away from McKinley's home after hearing the gunshots. " 'When you're engaged in a crime such as first-degree burglary and a death results from the events of that crime, you're subject to prosecution for it,' [Assistant District Attorney] Walters said."
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/nation/teen-mom-shoots-kills-intruder-after-911teen-mom-shoots-kills-intruder-after-911-operator-2081571.html?cxtype=rss_news

Only if "felonious intent" - like trying to ram someone, or escape police pursuit.
Leon wrote:

That has to be the most idiotic statement I've heard in the last hour.