OT: TV In The Shop?

Page 1 of 2
I just moved my small TV down to the shop so I can sort & sweep during the commercials in tonight's NFL playoff games. (Go Indy! Go Seattle!) Anyone else have a TV in the shop?
(I've always had a cassette player for listening to Earl Nightengale et. al. while making sawdust.)
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Absolutely. I just blow it out with compressed air every once in a while.
Mark Jerde wrote:

Nope; too dangerous. Just a radio for noise.
I had one, but donated it to the bike shop for watching distraction movies during winter "trainer night". <G>
The TV started getting less and less use when I migrated from giant r/c scale aircraft building to furniture. It got in the way, and I got tired of moving it around, and I spent more time quietly in one place with the airplanes. I did enjoy having hockey, football, or a race on in the background while working.
Nowadays, it's XM or the Ipod...
B A R R Y wrote: [snip]

The guy who builds a direct interface between Xm2go and an iPod will be a zillionaire. Imagine listening to fresh music all day, record 5 hours of it, select what you like and transfer it to the Pod. A 500 dollar bill to the guy who makes me one. (I know it can be done via analog, but that's a lot of hassle.)

Can you make change for a $613 dollar bill? ;-)
-- Mark
B A R R Y wrote:
> The TV started getting less and less use when I migrated from giant > r/c scale aircraft building to furniture.
Just curious, what is considered giant?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

In the US, usually 1/4 scale and/or 20+ pounds or more, there's no real standard. One organization defines it as an 80"+ wingspan. Giant scale aircraft are typically gasoline powered, while smaller craft are alcohol or electric powered. US r/c pilots who are counting on Academy of Model Aeronautics liability insurance coverage are limited to 55 pounds without a waiver obtained by demonstrating advanced flying and safety skills.
Many turbine powered aircraft are giant scale, and an additional waiver is required for turbine power. R/c turbines are a mature technology, all they require is flying skill and cash.
Outside of the US, giant scale takes on a better meaning. I've seen 300+ pound bombers with multiple multi-cylinder engines flown by multi-person crews! <G>
B A R R Y wrote:
> In the US, usually 1/4 scale and/or 20+ pounds or more, there's no real > standard. One organization defines it as an 80"+ wingspan.
During my misspent youth, built and flew, U-Control and free flight.
Had a single channel McNab that operated on 465, but never got it operational.
One of the guys in the club got hid hands on an Piper Cub with a 72" wing span.
It also had a thermal fuse for a pop up tail if it ever found a thermal.
Rigged it up with an O&R 60 engine with a 1 quart fuel tank for free flight operation.
Out west of town was a farm field that was at least 10-15 acres and a 3-5% slope.
Rigged up about 100 ft of rubber and 200 ft of nylon to form a launch bungee.
The first flight was aborted, don't remember why.
Don't know if it ever made any other flights after that.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

That is starting to sound like maybe the wrong end of the bungee let go....

Nope. Sometimes I turn on the radio, but usually not. Then again, I usually don't watch TV in the house, either.

No way. The potential for distraction makes it too dangerous.
--
Regards,

No, a PITA to run cable out there and plain antenna gets nothing around here. Just a radio with CD player.
Nope, Don't need it. I have a 1000w sound system instead. Most of the time I can't even hear the tools running. Just added XM last year so I could hear NASCAR racing but alas I have to switch to Sirius now.
Allen

Howcome?
Allen Roy wrote:

How come? I'm very happy with XM. Or did NASCAR switch? I wouldn't notice if NASCAR had switched. (turn left, turn left, turn left) I only watch most of the 16 Formula-1 races per year. *zipping up my Nomex suit*
NASCAR switched to Sirius at the end of the past season. I can't sit and watch 3-4 hours of racing but when it is on the radio, but I can listen to the whole race without a problem. I like XM as well but the reason I got it was for NASCAR races as we don't get any regular radio stations where we are. The only day I get to work in the shop is on Sundays so it was nice to listen to.
Allen

Yes, along with a computer and high speed internet.

I've got several computers and high speed internet, a model railroad, a whole TV entertainment center complete with game systems. Oh, and a pool table.
Ok, so I don't have a shop... It's really a garage converted to a multi- purpose room.
Puckdropper

Sure enough! I can watch WW videos in real time. Came in handy when I was (and am still) learning to carve ball and claw feet (although mine looked more like a turkey leg griping a pumpkin) Anyway, it's nice when the race is on......--dave