OT: To all you East-coast quake surfers.....

Welcome to my world!
It can get pretty exciting.
-Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer. http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm
I work at a large teaching hospital in Baltimore in one of the many research buildings. Whenever we have a fire drill there are many of us who have to be dragged out of our labs to comply with the safety regulations. Today, I saw hundreds of folks pouring out of many buildings without anyone being coaxed out. I'm usually the last out during a fire drill, I was one of the first out today. Over the past 6 years we've have lots of outside construction (road work, foundations for new buildings) that have caused vibration in our buiding but today's "vibrations" and shakes were something I had never experienced before. I prefer my "rocking and rolling" on a surfboard. Marc
On 8/23/2011 6:32 PM, marc rosen wrote:

Yup, mom nature rolling over in bed. You should be happy she wasn't pissed...
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

----------------------------------- Murphy's 5th law:
Mother Nature Is A Bitch.
Lew
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:32:01 -0700 (PDT), marc rosen

I grew up in LoCal. Those little shakers are common. In CA, the only people screaming and running are the out-of-staters. The rest of us (using that in past tense) just sit 'em out with silly grins.
Well, at least the 5ers and less. 3-4 quakes are the most common.
I've only felt a couple since moving to Oregon. One gave me a start. I was concentrating on the computer when it sounded like a truck came through the living room wall. It was over in 1/2 second, and there were no aftershocks worth mentioning. Just a WHAM! and silence. Very strange. I thought about it for a few seconds, realized that both the front and back windows shuddered at nearly the same time, shrugged, and knew that it was just a fast-moving shockwave.
My neigbor's friend lives in Baltimore and was on the toilet when that one hit. She got a shot of cold water on her bum as the quake rumbled. I suppose the restroom is the place to be when you get the crap scared out of you. ;)
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

We were in Liberty Science Center in Jersey City. Building is fairly new, and built to some kind of quake standards. We were on the second floor by the cafetaria. My wife thought I was crazy complaining about the floor moving under my chair. I felt like it moved with about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch sway for half a minute or so. I later heard about the "quake". No evacuations or anything there. Grandchildren had a ball, didn't feel the quake at all.
--
Best regards
Han

BTW - Is Zzyzx road the same one you encounter going from CA to Las Vegas? If so, I stopped off there and checked out the salt flats this July. HOT. Fun, but HOT.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

That'd be the same road.

1. I didn't actually think there would be two of them, but one never knows!
2. I had my kids and wife in the car at the time and they were't as keen on exploring as me. I would have spent hours there if I could. Cool, deserted place - figuratively speaking.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.